Chapter 41 - Emma

It was almost difficult walking to the door, knowing who stood behind it. I knew next to nothing about Gideon; he owned a nightclub and was mostly silent, but that was about it. He held his emotions in a tight rein. There was a backstory there somewhere, but I would never know the story if he didn't give it to me willingly.

I opened my door with clammy palms, revealing a rather brooding face attached to a hot "I'll make you scream in the best kind of way" body. He was dressed in a black suit; it seemed like it was what both he and Callan preferred. And I didn't mind that, not even a little bit. I had to stop myself from drooling as I stared at him; he filled out the suit as if it was made for him, which...it probably was.

His dark hair looked slightly damp, as if he'd just gotten out of the shower, and if I said I didn't picture how he would've looked like naked and wet in the shower, I would most definitely be lying.

Gideon intrigued me, which I had a feeling he wouldn't have liked. So yes, I did mentally picture him showering, but who wouldn't? I wanted to see if he had more tattoos then what I was seeing on his throat and hands...how his body moved as he did something as mundane as washing himself...and him when he was at his most vulnerable.

Before I could say a word, he moved past me and into my small apartment. I hadn't even invited him in. That was rude.

"I thought we were going to the club right away?" I asked while I watched him ignoring my place and turned around to focused on my door instead.

"What are you doing?" I asked when he didn't give me an answer to my first question.

Gideon growled something, but I couldn't make out the words. He tested my lock and scrutinized the door bolt; I'd gotten that one just after I moved in, for safety reasons, of course. Dad had helped me find a good one, which was probably for the best—I knew nothing about what made a door bolt good or bad.

At last, he nodded, seemingly satisfied.

"Come on," he grunted, not even looking at me before he started walking downstairs, leaving me in confusion.

First of all, why the hell was it so important to look at my lock? I'd survived two years with it, without any trouble might I add.

And secondly, what the hell was the matter with him tonight? Sure, he'd been grumpy and hard to read ever since I met him, but this felt different. He wouldn't even look at me. Was he regretting this already, before we even began?

Locking my door quickly, I hurried down after him, afraid he would drive off without me if I took too much time.

His car was parked right by the sidewalk; It was a black muscle car, and quite honestly, pretty sexy. I could definitely see him driving this.

Gideon was standing just a little off to the side of the building door when I got outside.

I made a move towards the car, but stopped when I saw he snagged a key from his pocket and started to...what the fuck? Was he locking the door of the apartment complex?

"Ehh..." I started but shut my mouth as soon as he sent me an annoyed look. Maybe I could ask Mateo instead. After all, he was the one who knew the lock had been broken in the first place.

I was surprised when Gideon moved ahead and opened the car door for me. Perhaps I shouldn't have been surprised. Even with his dark mood, he could be just as much of a gentleman as Mateo and Callan.

The car seat was surprisingly comfortable, and I let myself relax as Gideon started driving towards the club. He drove fast like the speed limit didn't apply to him.

I was one of the people who got easily scared, of driving, of being in a boat...flying, although I'd never been in a plane. I always overthought what could happen in any given scenario—bad things. Like being trapped in my dad's boat while it sank to the bottom. My dad didn't have one of those boats that were open to the elements. He had a marine canvas with windows, which meant we were inside the canvas while we were on the boat.