Chapter 58: Ornery Child

Pushing the round metallic button marked "4", the elevator jolts into action, sending Callie up to the fourth floor of the hotel. After stepping out of the elevator and walking down the hallway to room 424, she's anxious to see her little man. She steps in front of the oak door with the gold plated "309", tapping her knuckles against the grain. The door swings open.

             "Aunt Callie!" Zach giggles.

             Callie grins. "Zach!" she squeals, matching his enthusiasm.

            "Hi honey, come on in," Josh's mom smiles. "Grandpa is finishing up Kaiser's diaper."

            "Was he good for you guys?" Callie steps in.

             "Of course. Even though Zach might be a little bit of a bad influence," Josh's mom smiles.

             "How so?"

               They are interrupted by Zach giggling and making fart noises. Kaiser's giggles meshing with Zach's. Callie eyes her son, Kaiser looking more and more like Josh every day.

              "There's the bad influence," Josh's mom smiles, "teaching that poor kid noises."

             "Eh, I'm not worried," Callie says, retrieving Kaiser's diaper bag. "He's a boy. He's going to learn worse. I mean look at his father," Callie teases.

               "I'll be praying for you honey. Josh has always been my ornery child, and I think he's rubbing off on my grandbaby."

              Slinging the diaper bag strap over her shoulder, she looks away from Kaiser laughing at his cousin. "Well, I hate to come and snatch Kai up and leave but I have to meet my parents before they fly back," she says, leaning over and kissing his mom's cheek. "Josh and I appreciate you taking him overnight so much," giving her a hug.

               "Oh, it's no problem honey," patting Callie's back.

             Callie pulls away from Josh's mom, walking over to Kaiser as his blue eyes become wide when he sees his mom. "Hi baby," Callie coos at him. Kaiser thrashing his arms and legs around, all smiles.

             Bending her knees, she picks up, placing him on her hip. "Thank you guys again," walking to the door.

            "Oh honey, like I said, it's no problem. We love watching him. He reminds me so much of Josh."

            Callie nods as Zach runs over to join the conversation. "Aunt Callie! Aunt Callie!"

             "Yeah?"

             "Can I stay with you and Uncle Josh tonight?" he asks with a big smile, missing two top teeth.

              "I'll call Uncle Josh, and we'll see okay?" Callie smiles. "If so, he'll call your mom."

             "Okay!" Zach smiles, running off.

             "Bye," both women say in unison.