The Scout Regiment

Year 850

"When did you last replace your shaft?" A man MP questioned me.

"After stable work, let that be six days ago," I answer. 

"Right, she is clear." A women MP said, checking off her clipboard. 

"Alright. Who is next?" He shouted out to the line. 

"I'm with squad 42 Christa Lenz, sir!" A tiny voice shouted. 

"I guess someone hated lookin' at those titans even more than I did," Connie says. 

"Mm, the sad thing is they may've actually helped the titans more than anything," Armin says. 

"All that knowledge lost, and for what? Someone's personal revenge?" I say looking around. 

"It just doesn't make any sense." Armin finishes. 

"Well it might sound dumb, but I'm glad they did it." Armin and I side-eye Connie. 

"Before I had actually seen a titan, I was convinced I wanted to be a Scout and take them all on. Now I never want to lay eyes on one again. And today, we have to pick what Regiment to join." Connie shakes. 

Jean stiffens up at Connie's last words and clenches his fists. 

'Is he really gonna do it?' 

That night when we burned the bodies Jean looked completely broken. All he did was watch the fire burn knowing that he was burning his only true best friend. When he had asked us which branch we would apply to you could see the devastation in his eyes. It was no secret, but you could tell he wanted to stay strong. But when he announced he was going to join the Scouts himself he almost broke loose in front of everyone, actually, he did, when he hugged me all that came over me was grief, those tears Jean had shed were something else. 

 "Ah hell. Hey Annie. Do you think Jean actually meant it? You think he is serious about joining the Scouts?" Connie questions. 

"Wait, Jean said that?" Armin asks.

Annie lifts her head slightly, "Who cares?" 

"So you're sticking with the MP's, huh? I'm really starting to think I might go that way too." I grab Connie's arm hard. 

"Tell me something. If someone ordered you to die, would you do it?" Annie asks Connie. 

"W-what? Of course not." Connie responds. 

"Well. Then my best advice to you is to do what's best for you." She states stone cold.

"And what about you Armin?" I let go of Connie's arm. 

'Oh, uh, I think I might...Well, if the situation truly calls for it, and I knew that my sacrifice might save others, not that I'd want to." Armin says. 

"So you have made your decision," Annie says.

"Mm, I've planned on joining the Scouts from the start." Armin nods. 

"So, what about you (y/n)?" Annie asks, slightly looking over at me. 

"Scouts, like Armin, I've planned on it from the start. I don't need to give you an explanation nor should you expect one from me. All you need to know is that everyone has their reasoning to join a branch." I continue to look forward. 

"What?! Not you too (y/n)!" Connie says. 

"I can say that I am impressed, for the both, you guys have guts," Annie says.