Chapter 14

Suddenly the door opened and Rehan ran inside

"CODE RED. I REPEAT CODE RED." He yelled dropping bags of groceries on the ground. "Where is Ace?"

Ace came running down the stairs. "Did I just hear code red?"

Both me and Kai were up on our feet. CODE RED was..well.. the worst of all situations.

"Because you all three idiots cut classes today, they called mom! The school called mom!" Rehan yelled.

And just like that I was back to reality.

"Shiiiit." Ace brushed his hair back. "Shit. Shit. Wait Francy cut school today as well?"

"Long story. I 'll explain later." I told him and nudged Kai.

"What do we do? What is our excuse?" I asked.

Rehan grabbed the bags and spoke really fast. "I already have it figured out. Justtellthemyouthreesnuckouttogetmeabirthdaypresent."

"Kids, we're home." Mom yelled from the door.

Ace ran and threw himself on the couch over us. We each covered ourselves with the blanket.

When mom walked in Ace was in my lap and Kai was changing the tv while I seemed to be relaxing.

"Oh hey mom." Ace said.

"Hi." I smiled.

She seemed a bit confused and then Rehan slowly disappeared with the groceries in the kitchen.

Dad showed up behind her. "What is this? Don't you have homework to do?"

"daad." we all complained.

"Take this to the kitchen honey." She passed dad the bags and then her lovely face changed and she went and turned off the tv from the plug.

I grabbed Kai's hand under the blanket. Keep a natural face. natural face. Just like we have practiced in the past.

"Why is it that I got a call today that you three skipped school? Rehan said he swore seeing you all there, but I'm sure he's covering for you."

AND START.

"Shhh." Ace got up and shushed mom. Yes that's right. He shushed her.

"Mom you will ruin the plan." Kai spoke in his usual cold tone. "Have some common sense."

Perfect. Her face is confused. She will turn to me in three.two.one.

and there it was. The look.

"We are making a surprise present for Rehan. His birthday is coming up." I whispered.

She crossed her arms. "And this couldn't be done after classes or on the weekend?"

I shook my head. "If we went on a weekend someone would have seen us and Rehan will find out that we went somewhere without him. He will be hurt and lonely or will totally ruin the surprise."