Chapter 27

CHAPTER 27

Fleur had seen many dreams over the course of her life. Some good, some bad…the frequency of the latter increased ever since her visit to the Dursleys. She'd had her fair share of lucid dreams too…but this, this was on a whole other level.

She didn't even know if she was actually dreaming or awake. Usually you're supposed to wake up when you realized you were dreaming right? But that wasn't happening. She knew none of this could be real, and yet it was.

It was cold. The wind was unforgiving as it cut into her skin like blades. She could also hear the distant sound of what was unmistakably the sea; the sound of waves. She could even taste the saltiness in the air.

How was this possible? This was definitely not a dream…yet she couldn't find any other explanation for being here. She had no idea where she was either…this couldn't be anywhere near her home…they were nowhere near the sea. The only source of light she had was from the moon which was half hidden behind the darkened clouds.

Where was she? Where's Harry? How did she get here? All those questions were piling up in her head as she wrapped her arms around herself tightly, the beginnings of panic settling in. In the distant horizon though…she could see what seemed to be a...tree?

She stared at it for a few moments, trying to force herself to think. She had nowhere else to go. Behind her she could see a small pathway but she couldn't see what was at the end of it. It was all downhill behind her and something was giving her a very bad feeling about the swirling darkness at the bottom.

This only left her with her choice, uphill, towards the giant tree.

She cautiously started making her way upwards. The soles of her feet were not exactly used to the rather rough terrain as she stumbled more than once, brining her dangerously close to the edge of the cliffs. Although she couldn't see what was below her clearly, she knew that if she lost her footing, there would be no coming back.

Still, in a surprisingly short amount of time she found herself coming up front of the tree. It…honestly, it looked so familiar to her even though she couldn't offer herself a rational explanation.

The tree itself looked rather strange…unlike anything she'd seen before. It looked like it was a rather light, very light shade of grey. It was unmistakably dead…however; there were signs of life around it. There were some leaves growing in rather odd places all around the tree. Even as she watched one of them broke off and floated down towards her as she reached out with her hand, allowing it to come to rest gently at the palm of her hand.

The leaf was a rather odd transparent silver…it was like it was formed out of ice. It stood there on the palm of her hand for a few moments before it broke away slowly, right before her eyes. Inexplicably she felt a sharp pang of sadness as she watched the leaf turn into nothing more than small pieces of dust before being carried off into the darkness by the wind.

She suddenly heard what sounded like breathing which pulled her out of her reverie. It sounded almost as if someone was…asleep? Here?

She slowly edged around the tree, trying to ignore the way her heart was hammering in her chest. The front of the tree was overlooking the edge of the cliff and if one took more than a couple of steps off the base, there was no other way but down. Heights were something she never had an affinity for, despite her heritage.