Chapter 20

Kayden

''I'm not watching that.''

''Come on, Kayden! It's a great show.'' Cassie cries like some whining child.

''It's stupid as fuck, is what it is.''

She's been trying to get me to watch some dumb TV show. Something about a gossiping girl... Lush whinnies navigating life in the Upper East Side whom I couldn't care any less about.

''Just because you don't like or understand something doesn't make it stupid.''

In this case, it does.

''I'm hungry.'' I alter the focus.

Cassie fixes the blanket she'd draped around herself several hours ago when she first curled up in the cozy curve of my couch, and turns to me. ''What time is it?''

I sneak a glance at my roman numeral clock on the wall behind the couch. ''Almost seven.''

My sister furrows her brows. ''It's already seven? That's insane.''

Is she kidding me right now? ''Maybe if you hadn't woken up at one...''

Her face flashes into a glare. ''I would have slept even longer if you hadn't woken me up with all of your hubbub going on in here.''

''Excuse me for trying to cook us breakfast-late lunch, actually. I'll just let you starve next time you come around.'' I spittle. Teenagers are literally the classification of churlishness.

''Don't be fucking dramatic.'' She rolls her eyes. ''Now, what are you in the mood for?''

To take you back to your parents.

''It's your day. You can pick.'' I nearly hiss through gritted teeth.

''I really liked that one place you took me and Mom that one time. I think it was sometime around spring...''

I make a face as I try to recall what restaurant she's referring to. We usually order in, not wanting to deal with paparazzi following in on our dinner.

''You know, the one by dads old office quarters...'' she wanes, probably catching on to the fact I don't have a single clue which one she's requiring.

''Oh, you mean Delilah,'' I finally realize. I've had some business dinners at that place, figured her and my Ma would like it as well so I took them there a while ago.

''Yeah, I think so. They had the best grilled tuna steaks.'' she nods her head enthusiastically, practically bouncing in excitement.

''You sure you want to go out? Delilah doesn't postmate.'' I press. It's not like I want to go out, but I promised her we would do anything she wants to do today.

''Why not?'' She shrugs. ''I'm sick of binging the same shows. We'll just ask for a table in the back.''

''How will we get a table on such short notice?'' I'm making up excuses at this point. My exhausted, workaholic ass just wanted one Sunday on the couch.

''Oh, so you can use your Golden Boy benefits to get into topnotch L.A strip clubs, but when your sister wants to go out for dinner you're suddenly Mr. Sacred?'' she challenges, muzzling further argument,

''Go change,'' I grumble, purposely avoiding eye contact to not have to deal with the devil child's smirk.

''What are you getting?''

''I have no idea.'' I should do the right thing and go for something nutritious and healthy like the Iceberg Wedge salad on here, but the Beyond Burger is looking real tempting.