Chapter 62: Orders

Kaiser's party comes and goes. Now the couple focusing on their wedding date which they have set. The pair deciding to get married on the same day they met, March 12th – only three months away. Callie pulls into the driveway and retrieving a fast asleep Kaiser out of his car seat. She walks up the porch steps carefully and goes inside.

             Once getting Kaiser in his bed, she shuts the door behind her to let him sleep. Once getting back downstairs she walks to the pile of mail that is sitting on the counter. Pulling herself on the barstool, she opens some mail and hums to herself. She opens a few bills, a couple items wanting the two to open a credit card, etc. She looks over and sees a large manilla envelope, the envelope addressed:

                                                             JOSHUA ZACHARY COLLINS

                                                                  429 S PENSACOLA AVE

                                                                 FORT WORTH, TX 76104

            The envelope coming from the White House. Callie completely confused but leaving it on the counter.

             Ten minutes later, Josh walks through the front door. The security system giving him away.

            "Hey, where's little man?" he asks, walking over and kissing her on the cheek before grabbing a bottle of water out of the fridge.

           "He fell asleep on the way home from the planners," Callie says. "You got mail," she says, sliding the envelope over to him.

            "Oooo, from the president, fancy," Josh chuckles, opening the envelope and pulling out the contents.

            Callie watches as Josh smile begins to fade, his demeanor changing completely. She watches his eyes scan the documents.

           "Josh, what's wrong?" Callie asks concerned.

           "I'm...I'm..." Josh stammers. "I'm being deployed to Afghanistan," he looks up at Callie.

            "What?" Callie says.

            "I'm being deployed for eight months on assignment," Josh swallows hard.

            "Let me see," Callie says, taking the documents out of his hands. Josh sits there, putting his hands together and resting his forehead against them. Callie looks at the forms, tears filling her eyes, clouding her vision. Wiping her eyes, she continues to read, the forms ripping through her as she can't believe Josh is leaving for the long. After a few more minutes of silence, Callie places the papers on the counter and looks over at Josh. She slides her hand on his shoulders and back, feeling his shoulders shake a little, his breathing catching.

            She rests her head on his shoulder. "Babe," Callie says softly, "don't cry."

            Josh pulls away, wiping his red eyes and sniffling before speaking. "I haven't been away from you and Kaiser that long before. Eight months Callie."

            "I know," she says, rubbing his back.

            "We have to postpone the wedding," Josh sighs, closing his eyes.

            "It's okay," Callie says softly, even though inside her heart is shattering. "We'll be okay. You just come home and back to Kaiser and I."

             "I will, I promise," Josh pulls away, leaning down and softly kissing her on the lips and then the forehead before pulling her into him, hugging her hard.