MEETING

Chapter Twenty

Three days.

It had been three whole days that Offenderman had waited for the girl to show up again to no avail. Maybe she wasn't even from around town and didn't plan on returning anytime soon.

He was frustrated and at his wits end.

It was dusk now and he ran his fingers through his thick head of hair for the thousandth time letting out a puff of air and watching as the mist from his hot breath meeting the cold, dissipated before him. It had been snowing nonstop too and there were a few inches of fluffy white snow covering the ground, transforming the lush greenery into a sterile wasteland, the dark and cold making it appear even more eerie than usual.

The tall slender being folded his fists and without warning lashed out at a nearby tree. Snow plummeted down on him immediately, the punch knocking it loose from where it'd been collecting on the tree's thick foliage.

"What did the poor tree ever do to you?"

He spun around almost instantly at the unexpected sound of a woman's soft voice. She tilted her head at him, her hands tucked deep into the pockets of her thick winter coat and her hair fell across her face a bit before she swiped it away.

Was it her? Had she come back?

He couldn't smell her. It was like there was nothing about her worth putting out into the world.

In fact he was surprised that he hadn't been alerted of her presence at all before she spoke. He was usually a bit more attentive. He used a hand to brush the snow from his hair, his eyes gleaming a bit in the dark.

"Isn't it too late for you to be out in these woods?" His voice sounded gruffer than intended but it didn't seem to bother her as she took a few steps towards him.

Seeing the tall man up close she couldn't help but marvel at his otherworldly attractive features. It was like he'd just stepped out of a fashion magazine, "I could ask you the same thing."

He almost chuckled. If only she knew who she was talking to, then maybe she would've been more concerned for her own safety.

"Let me guess," she continued, "you think that because I'm a woman I'm too small and weak to protect myself against any attacks and so I would be safer staying in at this time of night."

Crossing his arms over his chest he looked down at her, intrigued. Was she implying that wasn't the case?

"Precisely."

She tsked at his answer and came to sit next to him on one of the large exposed tree roots that were just as uncomfortable as one would expect, his eyes followed her movements the entire time.

"Well it is what it is. If you have any ill intentions at least wait until I'm done having a smoke," she spoke as she rifled through the small pack she wore around her waist, coming up with a cigarette and lighter. He watched as she lit the cigarette, the spark illuminating her small face. She was young, surely, but she had a worn out expression, like she'd seen a lot. When she noticed him watching she went into her pack once more and offered him one of her cigarettes.

"Aren't those bad for you?" he asked as he took the cigarette between his long fingers.

"They are," she answered simply, "but so is everything else on this godforsaken planet."

He wasn't human and so his life expectancy was never a concern of his but humans had such short fleeting lives and they were immensely fragile, it's a wonder that they could still be so self destructive. It wasn't his place to judge however so he just took the lighter and lit the cigarette, taking a long drag.