Chapter Four || unpacking

SAWYER AND KAT are standing at the bottom of the stairs, waiting patiently for me, once I enter the front hall

SAWYER AND KAT are standing at the bottom of the stairs, waiting patiently for me, once I enter the front hall. Kat begins to explain the bathroom situation in the house, saying each pair of roommates share a bathroom before beginning my tour of the house.

She guides me to the kitchen and dining area, and living room, which are all connected on the left side of the house. On the other side are Kat, her husband, and the children's rooms.

"This," Sawyer begins as we make it to the top of the stairs, gesturing to the first door on the left, "is Eris and Bea's room, they have an en-suite inside. Then, next is Summer and Teagan's room."

We continue to walk down the wide hallway. She turns to the door on the right, just opposite Summer and Teagan's room. "That is their bathroom."

We walk further down the hall, stopping in front of two doors, one on the left and the other on the right. "This is our bedroom," Sawyer informs me, directing her gaze to the door on the right. "And our bathroom," now pointing to the door on the left.

As Sawyer opens the tall, brown door, the first thing I notice is the sage-colored walls, disposable pictures stuck across one side while the other is bare and plain, which I assume is my side.

Inside it is tidy, but still a bit cluttered. The bedside table beside Sawyer's white bed is busy with plants, picture frames, and candles. As well as the dresser and desk further into the room.

I immediately start to unpack, Sawyer, helping me as much as possible. After around an hour or two, I finish organizing my clothes, making my bed, and bringing my toiletries to the bathroom, and begin to decorate my side, hoping to make this strange place feel more like home.

 After around an hour or two, I finish organizing my clothes, making my bed, and bringing my toiletries to the bathroom, and begin to decorate my side, hoping to make this strange place feel more like home

Once my desk is organized, Sawyer and I talk, trying our best to get to know each other since we'll be sharing a room from now on. Sawyer suggests that we should play twenty questions.

"How old are you? I mean I know we're all in the same grade but–" I ask her, sitting on my desk chair while she's laying down on her bed.

"It's fine, Adina." She laughs, cutting me off before continuing. "Seventeen, you?"