Chapter 12

Dedicated to my Patrons: Jazmyne, Jalene, Coolcat, Lexie, Kayla, and Niesha! Thanks so much guys!!

What had he done? Nicholas replayed that night in his head over and over again. How could he let things escalate that way? It had been a week since he had last seen Lafayette. And truth be told... he missed her. The thought of her made his chest ache and his loins stir but he knew better. She was off limits to him.

He groaned as he took a long swig of the spirits in his glass. Not matter how much he tried to tell himself that, it never felt true.

He ran a shaky hand through is hair. He needed to do what was right.

"Nick, what in God's name was so urgent?" Andrew muttered as he sat across from him. "It's bloody freezing outside."

Nicholas gulped nervously. "I... uh, have something to tell you."

Andrew raised a brow as he took a glass from a bar maid. "Oh? Well, get it out already."

Nicholas took another swallow of his own cup before clearing his throat, "I'm going to be away for a while. Maybe a month or two. My aunt has been urging me to come visit for a while now, it's getting colder now so hunting should be a good sport."

Andrew tsked, "You sent an urgent missive to me just to announce you're leaving for a month? Don't tell me you're feeling sentimental."

Nicholas laughed at that. The missive had really been more of a message for Faye. He wanted her to know that nothing would happen between them again. "I suppose I am, old chap."

"When will you be leaving?"

He cleared his throat once more, "Tomorrow morn. It's a four day journey but I'm going to make a trip of it."

"Hany will be glad to hear of it, you know?"

They stared at each other for a moment before they burst into laughter.

---------

Lafayette paced her bedroom floor. She had not heard from or seen Nicholas in days. Angry was an understatement. But underneath that was a feeling of anxiety and betrayal. She had confessed her love to him and in turn he had run.

So, when her father had received the urgent missive from Nicholas just hours ago, a small part of her had hoped that he was taking initiative.

And that was why she was pacing, waiting on the telltale sound of her father's footsteps upon the corridor.

As if her mind were being read the sound of the servant's feet scrambling caught her attention. She quickly put on a bedside robe and rushed from her room, nearly tumbling into her mother.

Hany grabbed her by the shoulder's, "What are you doing awake?"

She smiled at her mother, hoping her anxiety wasn't shinning through. "I've been tossing and turning. I thought maybe some tea would help."

"Well, come on then. I'm going down to meet your father." They made their way down the stairs together, heading toward the parlor. Andrew stood by the fire place, a glass of whiskey in his hands. He smiled at them both as they came in.

Hany went to his side and he kissed her lovingly on the forehead. "What happened?"

He sighed, "Andrew's fine. He's going away for a while and felt the need to tell me now."

Hany smiled, "Truly? How long is a while?"

Andrew chuckled at the giddy look on her face, "Must you look so pleased? He said a few months."

Lafayette stood still. Drowning out the rest of her parent's conversation. He was leaving. For months. All of her anxiety washed away and left behind nothing but a growing sense of vengeance. The coward was really running for the hills.

She blinked, forcing herself back to reality. She'd be damned if he was going to avoid her with no explanation. "Could I go? It has been a while since I've left London and with everyone getting married and having babies... I've been quite bored."

Andrew frowned, "To the country side? Darling, I can assure you, it's nothing like London. I'm not sure if you're... equipped for such a thing."

Lafayette's eyes flashed, "Are you saying I'm incapable of handling myself outside of... of-," Hany cut her off, giving her a look.

"Enough. What your father means is that, well, you are used to a more... boisterous atmosphere. Rural won't suit you. And besides, Nicholas's aunt is... eccentric. You would not have a goodtime."

She huffed, "Let me decide if I can't handle it. I would like to go. You know Nicholas, he wouldn't let anything happen to me and Leo could be my chaperone. It would be a marvelous trip, its been so long since I've travelled. Please?"

Andrew sighed, grinning at his daughter. She so reminded him of young, stubborn Hany. "I won't object. But you may want to start packing for cold weather and now. He's leaving at dawn. I'll have a messenger attend to Leo."

Lafayette squealed, rushing over to hug them both before running from the room. Nicholas would not see the last of her this easily. Of that she was certain.

--------

"The next time you decide something like this, don't bring me up." Leo snapped as he settled into the carriage.

Lafayette grinned, "Oh, but you are my favorite cousin. Who else could I bring along for the journey if not you?"

He tsked, "I don't believe that for a second. Flattery will get you nowhere."

She laughed, "Cheer up. I know you're excited."

"I'm not. What I am is tired. Being told to pack for a two month trip in the middle of the night is not the treat you assume it is, dear cousin. So, if you don't mind, I'm going to sleep."

Lafayette didn't argue. The plan had been so spur of the moment she hadn't quite thought it through. One thing she knew for certain was that this felt right.

The carriage came to an abrupt stop and soon the door opened. Lafayette held her breath as Nicholas stepped in, sitting on the opposite side of the space. Her father had sent him a note last night, telling of Lafayette and Leo's accompaniment. Of course, as planned, he hadn't refused.

He cleared his throat, tipping his hat in her direction. "How are you?"

The look she gave him was icy. She smiled sweetly, "Quite sore, really. And angry."

"Faye... now is not the time for this." He mumbled as his eyes trailed to Leo's sleeping form.

She huffed in exasperation. "You're right. I've decided to give up on you. I could find a marvelous suitor on this journey."

Nicholas bit the inside of his cheek, before averting his eyes from her gaze. His insides twisted at those words. The very idea of anyone else winning her heart left a sour taste in his mouth.