Chapter 61

Drunken Nights

(Y/n) didn't know how long it had been, she just knew that winter was around the corner. Everything was very different now. The Survey Corps had to rebuild itself, however, morale was at an all-time high. Recovering Shinganshina had a positive impact on everyone. People were now moving back and under Historia's leadership, the economy was booming. Although, there was a silent agreement that things weren't going to stay the same and that a new threat looms over the horizon and (Y/n) knew this.

She took time out of her day to train with Miles no matter how either felt that morning. It was hard, it's really hard knowing that the fate of humanity was on your shoulders. Eren felt this way too, and she could tell. She sometimes would take time to hangout with Eren and check on him, see how he was dealing with his father's journals and his future. 

She had realized quickly that the bright boy she knew was gone. It was replaced by a sullen, brooding person. She once had flicked his forehead and told him to cheer up and he did the same thing to her. He told her she shouldn't criticize him for the same way she acts. Basically, he called her a sullen, brooding hypocrite. 

They both had gotten closer since they had shared trauma. Having the fate of the world on their shoulders was like having to hold up the sky. Today the sky was rather cloudy, it was clear that it would rain. (Y/n) looks up at the gray clouds when a fist slams into her right cheek, throwing her body backwards onto the harsh ground.

"Agh" she mutters as she feels the small rocks piercing her skin. She glares at Miles who was standing above her with a scowl on his face. His shoulder-long blonde hair was pulled into a ponytail.

"How many times do I have to tell you not to get distracted?" he questions her. She puffs her cheeks, her eyes noticing a bead of sweat dripping down his chin and onto his toned chest.

"Too many times" she replies and sits up from the rocks. He stretches out his tan hand and she gracefully takes it. He pulls her up to her feet, but before she knew it, he threw her over his shoulder, "Miles!"

He smirks to himself as he walks towards the river next to them. She couldn't see where he was taking her, but she could hear the sound of the river getting closer, "Miles! Don't you dare! Levi will kill you!"

"That munchkin is so short he can probably only slash at my kneecaps" Miles retorts, lifting her body up and throwing her into the river. A huge splash consumes her curses as the river swallows her body. Piercing cold water pricks her like a thousand needles. She stays under the water for a few seconds, letting her thoughts collect.

Her body floats up and she opens her eyes, the gray clouds glare down at her. She stares at them, her head empty. Miles raises an eyebrow at her before going into the river and floating next to her, to see what she was staring at. His eyebrows furrow, confused at why she was staring at the clouds, "Is something wrong?"

"No," she says, "I just like looking at clouds."

"I see," he says, "Then I'll look at them with you."

"Hmm" she hums and they both stare up at the clouds for a minute or so before Miles parts his lips to speak.

"It's almost going to be a year since we got to the sea...and almost two years since Caleb passed away..." Miles whispers the last part but she still had heard him. They had somehow been able to recover from Caleb's death, but it was still painful talking about it. It'll always be painful.

"Yeah...but he's probably watching over us...right?" she whispers.

Miles nods, "Just like Elma is."