Chapter 2

Two days passed. The emperor called Duke Lobelia to his office to take care of some official documents. The two old friends were sitting next to each other, piles and piles of papers and documents surrounding them.

"Those are from last month. You will take care of them, Angus. As for me, I will work on those of this month," said Arthur, picking up a tall stack of documents for himself.

"Are you sure, Your Majesty?" the duke asked, a little worried.

"Yeah, why you're asking?" he asked back, confused.

"Isn't that a little too much paperwork for you? I mean, you're going to really tire yourself with these," he explained.

"Don't worry, Angus. It's nothing I can't handle," the emperor replied, smiling slightly.

"But you know very well what the doctor said-"

"I know what he said. I'll take care of these, and you, of the others. It's decided and I won't change my mind," he retorted stubbornly.

Seeing his reaction, Duke Lobelia sighed heavily as he stopped writing and looked at his friend with determination as he crossed his fingers under his chin.

"At least leave the half of it for next week," he suggested.

"I can't... I want to finish them before next week so I can be free to celebrate Luana's birthday... It's a very special day for both of us and I want to spend it with my daughter without worrying about the work that remains for me to do," replied Arthur with an affectionate smile plastered on his lips.

"Okay. As you wish," said Angus, smiling back warmly.

After that, they continued to sort the documents quietly while discussing political things concerning the empire until they heard someone knocking softly on the door.

"Come in," ordered the emperor.

The head butler, Gardner, entered the office as he walked over to the two men and bowed to them.

"Your Majesty. Your Grace," he greeted.

"What is it, Gardner?" Arthur asked.

"I came to tell you that the Order of the Imperial Knights is back. They have just entered the palace gates. They're in the courtyard right now," he declared with a small smile.

"This is great news!" exclaimed the duke with joy.

"I'm reassured that they're back safe and sound," Arthur added with a proud smile.

"What do you order me to do, Your Majesty?" the butler asked.

"Tell them to go wash up and rest for now. They must be exhausted after their long journey. And order the cooks and maids to begin the preparations for tonight's banquet."

"Understood, Your Majesty. Anything else?"

"Yeah. Call Captain Koraxos. Tell him that I want to see him in my office now. I need to talk with him," he added.

"As you wish, Your Majesty," replied the butler, bowing before leaving the room.

The emperor sighed as he rested his back on the chair to relax.

"They arrived just in time. Just like they said they will in the letter. That's a good sign," Angus remarked, smiling.

"I didn't expect less from the new captain. I knew we could count him since he is, after all, Arminel's disciple. The latter is a very good master and he never makes mistakes in his choices," Arthur replied with a proud smile.

"That's very right."

"Plus, the army has very powerful and skillful knights. Their harsh training really paid off."