chapter forty-three

the sky was already darkening as the night drawled in slowly, clocks on phones and walls showcasing the time of 7:30

the gray sky encased jaemin's car as he stopped outside of nayeon's house- not feeling like actually going inside or it might cause his aunt and uncle to hold their date up for an hour.

"leave me alone!"

his ears perked at the sound of his date's booming voice coming from the doorstep, multiple footsteps following afterward.

his eyes connected to the figure running after her, a mascara bottle in hand along with a pair of earrings.

jiyoung closed in closer to the car, shoving the door open and closing it after getting inside just before nayeon could reach her.

jaemin silently laughed, rolling the window down while jiyoung complained.

"why are you chasing my date into the car?"

"she's trying to kill me!"

nayeon stuck her tongue out, "mascara and earrings aren't going to kill you, dummy."

"no, no it won't. but last time i let you try and do my makeup you nearly poked my eye out!." jiyoung flinched, moving closer to jaemin's side of the car as nayeon stuck the wand inside the window.

"alright, alright," jaemin smiled humorously, scooting away nayeon's arm. "she doesn't need any. we'll be going now."

"yeah, yeah. have her back before midnight."

"she doesn't live here?"

"doesn't mean she can't stay the night again, now does it? have her back by midnight or i'm tracking you down."

"how are you gonna-"

"you don't wanna find out." jiyoung sighed, buckling her seat belt.

jaemin nodded although still curious. the two waved goodbye to nayeon and headed off towards the amusement park for their date.

they spoke here and there on the car ride, most of the time both of them just enjoying the soft tunes from the radio while a comfortable silence filled the air around them.

soon enough the sight of the bright lights stretched out around the large park and the vibrations of music blasting made both of their hearts speed up a bit, now realizing they were really here on a date date, not just a couple of friends hanging out.

the wind brushed past the two in a quick manner, jaemin shivering at the cold feeling while jiyoung smiled while looking around at the bright lights.

groups of people were spread out around the park, each body in close proximity with one another as they tried to find another ride or booth to continue their day of fun before ultimately having to leave for home.

"have you ever been to one?" jaemin asked, looking at jiyoung as the two walked inside.

she hummed, not catching the question as she gazed around at the multiple stands and rides everywhere.

"i guess that answers my question," he chuckled, reaching into his coat pocket and pulling out two black masks.

"what's this for?" jiyoung asked, taking one from his left hand and wrapping it around her ears.

jaemin adjusted his own as he replied to her, "i've learned that it's a bit easier to breathe while wearing masks on rides so the air isn't pushed against your nose so hard."

she nodded while continuing to look around, storing the information in her head for any other time she'd come back.

the two found their way to a few different booths before they set out for the rides, calming down their nerves a bit as they spoke to one another.

soon enough, they were walking to their first roller coaster, excitement burning them both from the inside.

"which one do you want to go on?" jaemin tried to ask.

jiyoung only squinted her eyes as her head turned to the right, unable to hear what he was saying over the loud music and different conversations.

he took this as a sign to move forward, their faces only inches apart as he repeated the question for her to finally hear.

she mentally thanked the mask for covering her face, not knowing whether or not the heat traveling around her body was because she was flustered or if the thought of riding a roller coaster for the first time was actually going to be as fun as she imagined.

either way, her face was red and she didn't want anyone to see it, especially jaemin.