✹five✹

"My lord it's your move." Rhena said politely from her side of the game board.

Tywin looked away from the open window which flooded the cheerfull sounds of King's Lanidng. A look of contentment sat on his face as the smell of salt and bread and cakes floated into the lord's sitting room and Rhena found herself at peace in the small moment.

"Ah I suppose it is my dear." He said, glancing down at the board. "I will have the Lannister dress sent to you within the week. We can begin your portrait and have it hung in the Hall of House before you arrive at Casterly Rock. For the rest of your stay here, I have assigned Lyanna Stark to your service as your head lady in waiting. I was hoping if you two become companions, there may be a way to bond the North and West in later betrothals or friendships." He sent a pointed look towards her and moved his head piece.

"I was actually thinking of just that last night, my lord." Rhena answered while countering his attack against hers. "Since Lyanna is betrothed to Robert Baratheon, house Lannister could gain two houses in friendship if I find Lyanna to be an agreeable soul." Tywin studied her with a sort of fondness.

"Are you sure you aren't my daughter, perhaps one of my aunts resurrected to haunt me?" Rhena raised an eyebrow in question and he shook his head. "You have my brain of steel, looks to make any woman jealous and any young man swoon. I'd say those are prominently Lannister traits." Rhena chuckled. "By the gods, you're Cersei without all of her sneering and schemes." Rhena gave a full laugh now and poured herself a glass of fruit punch. She enjoyed the taste of wine, but found the traitorous liquid to spill more secrets than a man under torture.

"Perhaps, but wouldn't you prefer me outside of your house to marry Jaime, than inside to marry say Rhaegar or Visarys?" She asked after taking a long sip. Tywin shrugged and picked up a playing piece, debating where to put it.

"With your looks, I would have still become the father of a princess. If you were mine, you would have snagged Rhaegar instantly, unlike Cersei who scared him away with her bitter attitude." He paused before placing his piece in the only open spot, and effectively winning the game. Rhena looked over the board in concentration, and realized that she had been digging a hole for herself from the very beginning. "She looks so much like Joanna." Tywin said, leaning back in his chair and returning his gaze to the window next to him. "Yet she has so much of me in her that every drop of her mother has been squeezed out. She has no kindness or compassion as Joanna did, nor does she have the patience that she'll need later in life."

Rhena watched him carefully. This man was coarse and rough, and had been beaten down by life. But he had thrived in the chaos and fighting against it had become his way. She aspired to be like him, cunning, smart, ambitious, but she wanted to be more than him. She wanted to be there for her children. She wanted enough light left in her that she could still see the good in things but the time she reached five and forty.

After a while, he snapped out of his wondering and looked to the princess in front of him. "I'm sure you have other things to attend to, the young Stark girl perhaps?" Rhena nodded and stood gracefully. "Make sure her allegiance is to the West before Storm's End. The Starks will become a vital key in the wars to come, I'm sure of it." Rhena curtsied and Tywin nodded his head.

"Don't worry," She said with a small smirk that told him that she would survive his house. "I won't fail."

Tywin would have smiled if he was a smiling man, and shook his head. "I've never doubted you my dear." Rhena grinned and retreated from his study, which was adorned with golden lions and red walls. A sight that will most likely become a familiar thing in her life. A color that will surround her till the end of her days.