chapter three

ANGELIC – CHAPTER THREE

Isabel had been put on street patrolling as her last task before graduation. To say she was bored was an understatement, she scoffed as she stood between Floch and Nina, two Cadets she wasn't all too familiar with. "What're you scoffing at?"

She flicked her eyes away from the streets and up to Floch. "I can't imagine wanting to do this as a job, it's so boring just patrolling the streets. Where's the action?"

"I think it's kind of peaceful," Floch answered quietly, Nina nodding her head from Isabel's right. "Besides, not all of us want to throw our lives away."

She shrugged her shoulders and stretched, her arms lifted above her head and her shoulder gave a loud crack. "Then join the Garrison, I guess risking their lives isn't for everyone."

"Why is that an insult?" Nina asked loudly from her spot beside Isabel, neck craned at the taller girl as Nina was merely 5 foot 2 and Isabel was 5 foot 8. Isabel looked down at the dark haired girl and raised her right eyebrow in question.

"I never said-"

"No," Nina cut her off, arms crossing over her chest. "If someone doesn't want to join the Scouts and throw their lives away recklessly then you always look down on them. You think we're cowards, well we're not. Just because Floch and I want to join the Garrison does not mean I am a coward."

"I want to join the Garrison so I could help protect the walls so what happened five years ago doesn't happen again. I want to make sure that everyone is safe. Why is that so bad? Why is that worse than joining the Scouts?"

Isabel sighed and scratched the back of her neck. "You're right," She spoke quietly. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't judge you on the fact that you want to join the Garrison, that's your choice and I respect that."

"Thank you." Nina answered quietly, her face flushing red. The air that surrounded them was awkward - uncomfortable. "Why are you so desperate to join the scouts anyway? Are you not afraid of the titans?" Nina asked, breaking the silence.

The silver-haired girl shrugged her shoulders. "Everyone I know is a Scout, bar anyone I've met these last few years. My father is the Commander, my godparents are Squad Leaders. The people I'm closest to risk their lives to try and make the world a better place, I guess I just want to join the cause and make them proud."

"They'd be proud if you joined the Military Police." Floch spoke up. "You have the option to join, why don't you take it? It's better money, safety, respect."

Her mind wandered back to the night Annie had first asked her if she would follow her to the MPs if they made top 10, she remembered her heart breaking as she had to deny her first real friend the company in the inner walls. Maybe the MPs wouldn't be so bad, she thought.

"You think?" Isabel asked, her eyes holding Floch's in a stare. "I've never really considered the MPs, I've always just wanted to follow my father's footsteps."

"I would." Nina said. "I know I would be proud if my daughter joined the MPs."

Isabel shook her head and let out a small laugh and began to walk ahead from the duo. "No, I could never. I don't want the money or the respect, I want freedom."

"Besides," She flicked her head over her shoulder, a smirk playing on her lips. "You really think I'd want to see Kirstein everyday? No thanks." She fake gagged.

The trio erupted into a fit of laughs as they continued on patrolling the streets, smiling at citizens as they passed. They're not too bad, she thought as she looked between the pair a smile gracing her lips.