The Chess Game

Karas POV
     I woke up in my own bed, mine and Lenas arrangement is official as she would say. I honestly don't mind it as much as I thought I would. I mean sure I wouldn't mind an actual relationship with Lena but if this is as good as I can get, then I can live with that. I get dressed for the day and headed out. I got a coffee for myself, almost getting Lena one before I remembered she got an actual assistant. I'm glad but that also means I won't be able to see her as often. I walk into CatCo and head straight to my desk. To my surprise bouquet of roses atop it. I furrow my eyes placing my purse in the chair and looking for a note of some sort.
"Where'd the roses come from?" Winn asked looking them over.
"I have no idea. I can't seem to find a note."
"Pretty." Nia smiles looking at the red petals. "Who's it from?"
"She doesn't know. I think it's a secret admirer." Winn says with a goofy smile.
"Fun. Have you gone on any dates recently?" Nia asks face dropping, "And if so why have you not told me about them?"
"Uh no dates, unless I wasn't aware of it." I shrug.
Lena casually walks over to us joining the conversation, "What are we all standing around for?"
Clearly it's not Lena if she's not aware of the flowers, "Someone just sent me flowers and we don't know who."
"A secret admirer, interesting." She says examining the flowers, "As much fun as this is, I don't pay any of you to just stand around..."
"Right!" We all day in unison.
Nia and Winn return the their own stations as I move the bouquet to the side. "They are pretty though."
Lena smiles and walks back to her own office. Maybe the were from her? I look at the papers laid out in front of me, eyebrows furrowed. I could probably ask her during lunch... I shake my head and start in todays work. A few hours later an unfamiliar blonde comes over to my table.
"Hi, I'm so sorry to bother you but where do you normally order Ms Luthors lunch from? She told me to ask you."
"I normally order her a kale salad from Noonan's." I smile warmly. Always gotta make the newbies feel welcomed.
"Oh, and what would you like? People around the office say you two normally eat lunch together.
"I normally just get potstickers but whatever is fine. If you don't mind me asking what's your name?"
"Oh right! Duh. I'm Eve." She says extending her hand.
"Nice to meet you, I'm Kara." I take her hand giving it a from shake.
"You too. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to order your lunch. It should be here in a bout thirty minutes."
"Awesome, Thank you for ordering my food as well."
"No problem." She smiles walking off.
As said thirty minutes later a salad and potstickers arrived. I stand from my chair making my way to Lenas office as quickly as possible without running. I mean I don't want to look insane. I sit on my normal side of the couch shortly joined by Lena.
"Has a note turned up for the roses?" Lena asks casually taking a bite of her food.
"Your still doing that act?"
"What act?" She asks looking at me like I'm a lunatic.
"Wait, so they really aren't from you?"
"Why would they? I have no need to get you flowers, its not like we're dating or something."
"Right..."
We continue eating in silence, it was slightly awkward. I finish my meal and stand.
I awkwardly clear my throat, "I'm gonna get back to work but uh..." I pause and adjust my glasses nervously, "I normally have a movie night once a week with my friends–considering they're the closest thing I have to a family–and I was wondering if you would like to join us?"
"I'd love too." Lena smiles, "Just one question..."
"Anything." I say almost instantly.
"What did you mean when you said your friend are the closest thing you have to a family? If you don't mind me asking of course, I mean isn't Alex your sister?"
"Oh that... um, Alex is my foster sister. My parents died in a fire when I was thirteen and Alex's mom Eliza took me in. She's an amazing person."
"I never knew you were a foster kid..."
"It's not a thing people casually bring up in conversations." I shrug, "But I'm lucky I got them, I mean who doesn't want a protective older sister?"
     "I know I've always wanted one, older brothers are the worst." Lena said dramatically causing me to giggle.
     "Glad I didn't have one of those."
     "The only thing Lex is good for is playing chess, and even then I would win most of the time. Speaking of, we should definitely play that on game night."
     "Something tells me you're some chess prodigy and everyone would loose to you."
     "That's pretty accurate." Lena confirms causing us both to laugh. "I don't think I've ever been beaten."
     "Well now I have to challenge you."
     "Luck for you I have a chessboard here. Well maybe it's more unlucky."
     "Oh you're so on. I'm gonna kick your ass."
     "Oh you swear now?" Lena smirks setting up the board.
     "Only when I get competitive."
     "Too bad I'm gonna win then."
     I shake my head with a smile, "I disagree."
     "Guess I'll have to make you agree." She confidently states moving her first pawn.
     Let's just say the next couple hours was spent using lots of concentration, several annoyed grunts, excited squeals which were soon to be followed by slurs, and Lena winning every game. I'd always get close before she pulled out some insane move I wasn't expecting. If only I had taken her queen instead of putting her in check.
     "You weren't as terrible as I thought you were going to be." Lena smirks resting the game, "Wanna go again?"
     "Me and you both know you're just gonna win."
     "Ah, she finally gets it."
     I roll my eyes before we were interrupted, "I have the layout you wanted."
     James hands Lena the folder before quickly making his leave, "what do you think?"
     Lena shows me the layout causing me to smile, "That's the headline for my article."
     "Oh I guess it is... I didn't notice." She says nonchalantly.
     "Oh don't act like you didn't know."
     "I swear I didn't! I just read all of them and chose the best, which just so happened to be yours. I wasn't even paying attention to the author."
     "Likely story..." I say jokingly as I squint.
     "Just get back to work and write another kickass article." Lena smiles lightly shoving me.
     "I'm on it boss." I give her a salute before going back to my desk.
     I smile as I see the flowers. I still have no idea who they're from, but they're pretty. I take my seat and dive into writing another article.
•–•–•–•–•–•–•–•–•–•–•–•–•–•–•–•
Nias POV
     "How is it going?" The voice sounds through the phone.
     "They seem to be getting along great. They have eaten lunch together everyday since Lena has came here, and they've played several games of chess today." I report with a smile, "I think your plan is going to work."
     "Of course it is. I'm me. Now make sure nothing goes wrong."
     "I will. But why are you so determined for this to happen? How does it affect you?"
     "It doesn't really... it just needs to happen. I hope you'll trust me Neyea."