⚜ Chapter Twenty-Six: Mirror ⚜

<< What do you see when you look in the mirror? >>

Note: Self-Depreciation is not allowed here. I will attack you with love if I see it. :)

«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

"Everything is burning."

Isabella's dress swayed in the wind as she stared at the house she loved so much, trapped in an eternal inferno. In one hand, she held a radio. In the other, Emma's ear.

She had been outsmarted. Everything she had built up for 12 years, burning down. A loss this big would surely end in her death, right? A giggle released itself from her throat.

They're still alive.

It was a miracle, a wonderful miracle. Emma and Ray were still alive. If they were alive, which they probably were, she could catch them. As long as they're alive. She glanced out at the empty field. Emma really took everyone, hm? Fantastic. That naivety was sure to be her doom.

I'll catch everyone, Isabella thought giddily. My adorable children. I won't let you escape.

A small hand tugged at her dress. Isabella flinched, looking down in a hurry. Phil looked up at her, frightened.

"Mama."

"Phil?" Isabella knelt in front of the four-year-old, hugging him tightly to soothe his nerves. "Where are the other children?"

"This way!" Phill broke out her embrace, running to a portion of the slippers. Isabella watched him carefully. He was wearing slippers, so he wasn't part of the escape like the others. She checked her pocket watch. His tracking device was acting normally.

"Mama!" A crowd of toddlers burst from the trees, some of the younger ones (such as Carol) falling right on their faces. Isabella smiled warming, hugging the crying children as they grabbed onto her for dear life. Counting each of them, she realized - the only ones left were under four. Meaning a total of 15 kids had escaped.

"Where are Emma and the others?" the children bawled. "They're not with you?!"

"I'll bring them right back," Isabella assured. She'd lost enough time. Even getting the radio took a ridiculous amount of time. Everything was going according to the children's plan.

"Wait, don't go!" begged the toddler. Isabella moved away with a nervous smile.

"Don't worry, I'll be right back," she comforted. "Everyone, make sure to stay here."

She left the sobbing kids behind her, sprinting to a safe distance away. Even if they were quick, they were still children - many of which were five and six-year-olds. If she was optimistic, they had only managed to climb the wall. She still had enough time.

It was admirable, though. Even seeing that cliff didn't make them give up?

She slammed the radio down, whipping out a smaller radio. They were surely going to one place and one place alone. "This is 73584 from Plant 3. The children have escaped - Sound the alarm!"

At the wall, the escaping cattle stumbled as a loud, blaring sound sounded throughout the Grace Field farm, blasting from plantation to plantation and waking every household. Emma stared off into the distance, brows furrowed.