☆know

aster's pov

aster's pov

I had a vivid memory of when I was 8 and my mother gave me a handful of roses. Dark streams of exposed fluid running down my hand to my arm, as the punctures in my skin sting my hand. It was the first time i ever seen roses in her garden.

"They're pretty until you hold them close. Then they hurt you. Hurt you so much you never let go. But when you finally do, it still leaves you wounded. You listen close to me, Aster." The older woman pulled the flowers out of my hand. I looked into her glossy eyes closely.

"Never hold a rose in your hand. You see?" Her voice became aggressive as she waved my hand in my face.

"Roses do nothing but hurt you. And thats all they will ever do."

At first I thought she was just trying to scare me into never touching her roses in her garden.

The thorns did hurt my hand, but not enough to cry. Little did my mom know, I already have been hurt by a rose.

From that day forward, I never seen a rose in her garden again.

~

"Do I look stupid?" i bit my lip nervously as i stared at my reflection through the full length mirror. Sides of it covered in random stickers i had collected over the years of my life. Many kids had a sticker collection phase. At least thats what I tell myself.

"Just a little." I could sense through Maddy's voice that she was trying to be a little nice about her constructive criticism. But in all honesty, Maddy is trying to say 'You look very stupid.'

"Its the skirt." I huff as i dropped the skirt down to my ankles. Along with the top. Maddy and I gave absolute no fucks about changing in front of each other. We've seen just about everything already, a little nudity ain't hurt nobody.

We've seen a lot of bizarre things in this world. Being naked didn't phase us.

"Bitch I love you but plaid does not belong in your closet. Please don't ever buy some stupid shit like this ever again." She let out a laugh as she picked up the plaid skirt that i just removed. I had bought it last week with intentions of making a cute outfit. It was probably because I binged Clueless 10 times that week. I was definitely on something.

"So what should I wear?" I groan as i scanned my closet for something to wear. I decided to just start over on the entire outfit but i was getting antsy.

I was already stressed because we were supposed to leave for school 10 minutes ago.

Maddy came over to pick me up because my car was in the auto shop. Note to self: don't park your car by Nate Jacob's truck. Especially when he's pissed.

"I'm so not in the mood to see Nate's ugly face at school. I still cant believe he hit your car." Maddy groaned in annoyance at the thought of her ex.

Especially after making out with Tyler in the pool and doing other things. Definitely was a shit show once Nate saw.

"He was pissed off." I shook my head. "Thanks to you and your quick fuck in the pool."

"We didn't fuck!" she denied once again.

"How about this?" I completely disregarded her lie as i turned to Maddy with yet another skirt.

"Ms Adams! You are late

"Ms Adams! You are late. Not the best way to start off the year." The old lady got all grouchy due to my presence.

"Sorry." I hand her my slip before taking my seat next to Nate. It was the only available seat. I guess nobody wanted to sit near him.

"Hey." He whispered as he leaned over to my desk. "Im really sorry for the other night." Then he handed me a roll of cash. "That should take care of it, but if the damages costed more just let me know."

"Thanks." My lips curved into a smile as he gave me a reassuring grin in return.

Nate had his moments of being kind. At least with me he did. Probably because he was trying to make a good impression on his girlfriend's best friend. Or ex girl friend.

We never know with these two. One minute they are the golden couple. Then they are the worst couple.

There is no doubt that there is love... or maybe its all just lust.

~

You see, Maddy is the hand that holds the rose covered in prickly thorns. And Nate is of course the rose.

Maddy admires the rose so much that she doesn't yet realize whats its doing to her. As for Nate, he is the rose that uses his thorns to put his imprint on her. He uses them to prevent himself from being the one who gets hurt.

I hate to sound cheesy and compare love to roses, but in a sense, it does have a deeper meaning that we tend to overuse but cant comprehend.

The cut will remain bleeding if you allow it.

In a world like this, you're either a rose or the hand that holds it.

And as for us, you were the hand that held me.

If only my mother taught me to not only ever hold a rose, but to never be one.

sweeteasaint

AHHHH IM SO EXCITED FOR THIS BOOK AND S2 ahhh i'm only watching it for fez if i'm being honest