Chapter 26: Secretary Ross

Y/N's POV

"Dad!" I practically sprinted at Tony, sliding to a halt in front of him.

"Hey, Y/N. Long time no see." Tony chuckled, placing one arm over my shoulder. It wasn't exactly the longest of time. I'd seen him about 5 months ago. "Your weapons holding up well?"

"Better than ever." I smiled, placing a hand on my side as if to show where the first of three weapons would be.

"What about the Aventador?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Almost totalled it a couple times, but it's doing good." I laughed quietly. Looking behind me I was met by all the other Avengers who were sat down staring in confusion. At least everyone except Rhodey. "What?"

"Dad?" Natasha said the word out loud as if it was something she'd never heard before.

"Oh, I never told you guys about that, huh." I snapped my fingers as I recollected my thoughts. "Well, whenever I've been out of the compound for long periods of time, I've been with Tony. He's sort of become... well, yeah." I scratched my head as I finished my speech with a nervous tone.

"What, became your father?" Sam raised an eyebrow.

"No- well, yes. It's not on paper, but I've started to think of him as such." I glanced at the floor. Then I finally noticed the extra figure that was at the end of the table. Everett Ross. "Wait, what the hell is this guy doing here."

"Okay, I think we should probably just calm down with the questions for now. We have important business to talk about." Tony's voice became stern, patting my back and ushering me to sit down. I nodded, moving to sit with Pietro and Wanda. Pietro turned to me with a smile, raising a fist to me as I seated myself, to which I met with my own fist.

"I wanted to ask that same question." Pietro said smugly as he glanced at Ross.

"Five years ago I had a heart attack." Ross sighed, taking a golfing form. "Dropped right in the middle of my backswing."

"Good." I said bluntly. Almost everyone seemed to look at me as I leant on my hand. I raised an eyebrow at them before shaking my head clear.

"Well, guess what? It turned out to be the best round of my life, because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass... I found something 40 years in the army had never taught me." Ross stared me down for the first half of the speech, to which I decided to answer back.

"That the doctors were wasting time and resources?" I questioned with a tilt of my head, then felt a hand hit my right arm. Looking in the opposite direction of Ross, I found Wanda retracting her hand with a glare that was warning me to quiet.

"Mr. L/N, is there a problem here?" Ross crossed his arms.

"Depends if you want them all. But, we don't have all day if that's the case." I rolled my eyes.

"Very well, let's get down to business. You see, you've fought for us, you've protected us all this time. The world owes you guys a considerable debt." Ross shrugged and motioned his hands as he spoke. "But while a great many people see you as heroes... there are some... who would prefer the word 'vigilantes.'"

"If I might ask, Mr. Secretary. What word would you use?" Natasha raised her question.

"Dangerous." Ross turned to lock his eyes on me again. "Very dangerous. An ex Hydra member isn't someone that civilians necessarily look to as their hero. Especially when that 'hero' has a habit of extreme violence and aggressive outbursts." He turned around for a moment, tapping his foot as he had just lit a time bomb inside me.