69

"Lumos," I cast.

No response.

My wand remained the lifeless shit it's been since three months ago. I can't do any spells, nothing. It's like my magic completely vanished. Not even spurts of the easiest spells.

"Nothing still?" Pandora asked.

She's been so open lately. I remember she wouldn't speak more than ten sentences per couple hours. Now she's very social and I don't know if it's a good thing. Granted, it is good for when I get actual answers to my questions. But I know partly it is her guilt.

"Yeah, nothing. What about you?" I countered.

She rest her hand on the edge of her nonna's spell book. Her other hand twirled her own wand absentmindedly. I pulled the chair back, slumping into it quickly. My wand forgotten on the dining table.

"Me neither. So far, it's only what we've heard from her the day she.. died," she replied.

I hummed in response. These days, my motivation has plummeted. My hope in seeing the others is fading. I'm on the edge of witch and muggle, much closer to muggle. Sometimes I imagine a world where I live clueless. Like someone casting the obliviate charm on me.

"Pandora, where are your parents?" I blurt.

Her expression suddenly turned serious. Slowly, she shifted her head towards me. Her grave stricken eyes bore into mine and I got goosebumps.

"I killed them," she blankly told.

My jaw clenched and my fingers inched to my wand.

Pandora's face burst with a wide smile and she giggled cutely. A natural rosy blush lay upon her cheekbones and her dimples deepened with her grin. Crescents of amused lids and high brows emerged.

"Just kidding!"

I let out the breath I was holding. My hand relaxed on the wood and my back rest on the chair once more. I muttered to myself, "Jesus Christ."

"They're vacationing and house hunting. They'll be giving me this house but be back later in the year to pack up," she explained.

I nodded, acknowledging the statement. I hope they're doing well. Weird how they just let her be, with her boyfriend too. Parents are so strange. Well, I wouldn't really know.

Scooting closer to the table, I leaned into her book as well. She bit on her thumbnail and went back to reading from earlier. Her hair lightly stuck to her temples due to the sweat.

The summer has been incredibly bothersome this year. Simply just laying on the ground would dribble up a sweat. Much less sleeping in it. The heat got to us. I could sit in front of the electric fan for hours but I'd still feel perspiration everywhere.

"Oh! Look here," she said.

She turned the grimoire closer to me and pointed with her index. I ran a hand through my hair and kept it there, peering downwards. My eyes flickered to the text above her nail.

If the strega mortale falls victim to the spell breaking, a cleansing must be held in order to clear the broken pieces. In any case the cleansing is not conducted within the year of breaking, all powers the strega mortale had, will vanish.

Lifting my head, I gazed at her. Her icy eyes pooled with hope and purity filled her. This was the first time in a year that I've seen her like this. The few weeks before we visited Rosanna were the moments I saw a clean version of her. A completely static and normal Ravenclaw student.

She's back.

I smiled widely, shooting out of my seat. I brought my arm around her neck and gave her a wild hug. She smacked at my arm when I lightly suffocated her.

"Pandora, if you weren't absolutely smitten with Xenophilius, I could kiss you!" I exclaimed.

"Please don't," she squeaked under my hold.

I laughed, letting go of her. She rubbed at her neck and gave me a nasty side eye. The corner of her mouth tilted upward slightly and I snickered again.

Newly ridden with energy, I bustled around the kitchen. I opened cabinets and cupboards. The handles were pulled and pushed equally as fast. I don't even know what I'm searching for anymore. I'm too excited! I'll get to see Padfoot again!

Xenophilius pattered into the kitchen. He rubbed his eyes and yawned. His platinum hair stuck up in every which way. Knots on the back of his head and a flattened right side showing where he slept. He towered passed me and to the kettle.

His poor posture worsened when he leaned on the counter. Slowly, he reached into the cabinet I just opened and pulled the coffee beans out.

"Dora found out how to fix me! Get excited, Xenophilius! You'll be rid of me very soon!" I shout.

He brought his hand in the air.

I froze, confusion wracking my brain. The fuck? I stared at his hand then back to his face. He barely could keep his eyes open. It is literally three in the afternoon, why is he so sleepy?

"Shh," he shakily muttered.

"You 'shh'," I mocked.

"High five," he quietly said.

With a frown, I slapped his hand curtly.

I turned back around and approached Pandora. She pinched the corner of the page, turning it carefully. The ancient parchment crackled satisfyingly. Hovering over her shoulder, I skipped over some words and just waited for her to point something out.

After a few moments, the hunchback we found living in the house shuffled near us. His narrowed eyes went from his steaming mug to the spell book. What a bum.

"Oof," he muttered.

"Yeah..." Pandora agreed.

"What?" I questioned.

Simultaneously, they faced me. That gave me the spooks. Nevertheless, I centered my attention on them. The smell of fresh coffee wafted and the sun blazed harder through the glass.

"The cleansing is going to be.. a little.. how should I say this?" she stuttered.

"I don't care. As long as I live, I'll do anything," I interjected.

There was a moment of silence.

Only a moment though. To which our goblin said, "You sure can't die."

"Xenophilius!" Pandora gasped out, a smile on her face.

You know what, maybe I really am not fond of him after all. Maybe men don't deserve rights.

-lana