Chapter 33

Chapter 33

The air was cold, wrapping me around it's bitterness. The car passed through the slope that led us to the castle. There were a few cars, crowding the area, dropping by people—creatures. The sharp tops of the silver gates glistened with ice as we crossed through them. Everyone and everything was being checked by the guards.

Memories of being at the castle, wrapped around Luciano's arms burned through my mind and I licked my lips. I was going to walk through the gates not as a queen, not as the King's mate but as the his enemy.

A gentleman came to my side, opening the passenger door for me and Pearl. We stepped out, covered in masks, our identity's hidden. Just at the entrance, our invitations were checked and our names were confirmed.

I wasn't on the list but we had the invitation and that was far more than enough for us to go through. My shoulders stiffened as I stepped inside and sucked in a deep breath while noticing my surroundings.

Nothing had seemed to change over the months.

A voice called me, "Remember what you've to do. I will be lingering around the area, looking for any danger. If you're caught, meet me at the house and we will leave immediately." Pearl whispered in my ears before merging with the crowd.

My stomach churned out of anxiety as I moved around. The castle was packed—more than I had expected. There were a lot of wolves, covered in costumes and masks, yet, my eyes searched for only one.

I kept my distance from everyone and stayed by the corners, still studying the crowd that grew with every second. When I spotted Jaqueline, I went over to her but before that, I confirmed Pearl wasn't around me.

Just as I thought, she was in another room and not where the party was.

Jaqueline raised her head, searching the area for me. When she caught my scent, she approached me. Her hand came down my back and she pulled me away from the ballroom, taking me into one of the secret hallways.

"How are you?" She asked.

"I'm fine. I got what you wanted," I said, reaching underneath my dress and pulling out Gretel's talisman that I had stolen months ago.

I gave the pendant to Jaqueline and she quickly hid it in her fists before anyone saw us.

"Thank you," She gave me a sweet smile and then continued, "I will send this over to England, my sisters there can find a way to kill her. Are you sure Gretel didn't notice her talisman went missing?"

"No," I blinked and then shook my head, "She hasn't found about it, yet."

"That's great. Are you here alone?"

"No, there is another witch with me, Pearl Lyre, and that is all. We are stay at this house in the town," I explained to her, keeping my voice low. My tone was filled with fear of the future.

"Oh, will she suspect anything?"

"No, no, she won't. She's dumb," It wasn't wrong—Pearl was dumb enough to notice I went missing, she probably thought that I was with Luciano or doing my thing. "What about the other items I'm supposed to take back to Gretel?"

"They are almost ready. Come to my chambers after the party and I will give them to you. Gretel will never notice what went wrong with her magic," Jaqueline replied.

Gretel wanted to weaken Luciano by placing doing some voodoo on his personal items and she was going to do, just on counterfeit items that Jaqueline had been preparing since last night.