Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Erin took a deep, fortifying breath as the elevator doors slid open, revealing the private ward where her father lay recuperating from the surgery.

After her shower, she'd fallen asleep with memories of the night spent in Ethan's arms swimming about her mind and plaguing her dreams. Frankly, she was even surprised she'd gotten any sleep at all.

Cautiously, she made her way to her father's room half hoping she wouldn't run into Todd. Though she knew she would have to face him sometime soon, her nerves were just too high strung from the encounter with Ethan and the poor man deserved more than a few curt words of apology. In fact, he deserved a full blown bout of groveling from her and a pound of flesh.

She reached the door and hearing muted voices coming from within, she jerked it open and walked into the room.

Her mum occupied the sole chair on the other side and she was gazing tenderly down at her husband who was finally awake.

"Oh there you are darling." Her mother looked up as she entered. "We were just talking about you."

Pasting what she hoped was cheerful smile on her face; Erin came further into the room.

"Morning mum," she leaned down to place a kiss on Victoria's cheeks before turning to her dad.

"How are you feeling dad?" She asked gently, placing a kiss on his forehead. His skin was cool against her lips. "Sorry I couldn't come see you yesterday, I was...out of town."

"I feel like someone took a mallet to my ribs." Harold grumbled, wincing as he tried to sit up only to be roundly scolded by his wife and daughter. "Oh don't fuss for Pete's sake. I'm fine."

"Well you shouldn't try to move so much then." Victoria shot back. "Remember what Dr. Hastings said, dear. No sudden movements till the sutures are removed."

She turned to Erin, a curious look in her eyes. "Speaking of Dr. Haskell, he came in here several times yesterday asking about you. He said he'd been trying to reach you but you wouldn't answer your phone and he was worried. So I tried calling you too but no answer. Where were you?"

At the mention of Todd, Erin felt a guilty flush rise in her cheeks. Damn Ethan for putting her in this awkward situation, she thought, mind racing as she considered and discarded several excuses. Finally, she decided on something close to the truth.

"I ran into....an old friend and sort of got caught up with...stuff." The excuse sounded lame even to her own ears and she winced. Well, that would have to do for now.

Victoria frowned. As always, she knew when her daughter was hedging the truth. "What old friend? And if I deduced correctly, you'd made an arrangement with the doctor, and it was incredibly rude to stand him up like that."

"Mum, I-"

"Vicky, leave the girl be." Her father cut in firmly, reaching for his wife's hand and squeezing it in gentle reprimand. "She's an adult and free to make her own decisions."

"Thanks dad." Erin said, relief flooding her frayed nerves. Much as she loved her mother, the woman could be a tad overbearing sometimes. Her mother meant well of course, but sometimes...

Victoria pursed her lips in displeasure. "Fine. But at least, try to offer an apology to the doctor? He was rather worried about you."

"I know." Erin sighed, not relishing the task ahead of her. "I'll be right back; I need to have a word with Todd."

"Who's this Todd?" Erin heard her father ask her mother in a gruff tone as Erin slipped from the room.

"Todd is Dr. Haskell, darling." Her mother replied in a cheerful voice.