Chapter 4-the last ones standing

Since standing on that wall things happened so fast.

I had launched myself from the top of the wall, slicing, avoiding outstretched hands reaching for me and killing the owners of those hands. I had moved as fast as the wind so when I stopped to take a breath and take stock of how much gas I had left, I was stunned at the sights before me. I had lost sight of Eren and the others.
Most of the garrison troops...nope all of the garrison troops were dead. I stood a lone on a house. Watching as more and more Titans were grabbing garrison, MPs and cadets alike, their terrified and heart wrenching screams filling the air. I had to tune them out.
We would find their bodies when the last of the Titans were gone, plus we had to fill the hole in the wall.
It had seemed that those living in the city had been evacuated.
I ran, jumping from house to house like a flea, using only minimal gas.
I was running out. And fast. When I stopped I saw a flash of blond hair. Armin! I stopped mid flight and headed towards him. He was going to get eaten!
No I had to stop him! Save him!
I gave a battle cry brandishing my swords, slicing the nape of the first Titan about to grab him and missed the second.
I could only watch horrified as my friend was brought to a behemoths mouth in what seemed like slow motion.
Then a blur of brown ran past me. Eren!
He was missing a leg but he flew screaming, his shoulder braces against the Titans tearing teeth and grabbed hold of Armin's flailing hand, pulling him in one fell swoop out and I flew out catching him as we then landed heavily on the roof. I turned about to go and get Eren when the Titans mouth came down, severing Eren's arm and swallowing.
I knew my eyes were wide. He had died right in front of me.
I...
I....
I had to get Armin to safety. I grabbed Armin hoisting him onto my back-the added weight making me grunt before whooshing away. Armin's agonised screams filling my ears.

When we were far away from the Titans I saw a group of brown uniforms. I headed straight there, landing and placing Armin down in a swoop.
I moved away, ashamed by my own cowardice.
"Layla?" That was Jean. "Are you alright?" I just shook my head. I couldn't voice it.
A thump landed and I heard Mikasas voice. I didn't turn around. Instead I stood staring back the way we had came. Titans has reached the base where the gas and everything was. If we couldn't make it there- we were as good as dead.
I sighed.
"You've noticed too huh?" Connie added, he sounded defeated.
I nodded. Then realised I needed to speak.
"What happened to the gas runners?"
Jean's face told me more than his words.
"Damn cowards, ran for the base pretty sharp, leaving us out here with no gas." He turned away. "We are sitting ducks."
I thought about how much gas I had.
"How much do we all have?" I asked strategically.
"Out." Connie said. Sasha from beside him added.
"Almost out."
Bertholdt and Reiner added that they had a bit more- suspicious but I shook my head not the time!
"Mikasa?" I asked finally daring to turn to her and Armin.
"Almost." She said in a sad whisper.
"Armin?" My words choked me. No doubt he blamed me for the death of his best friend.
"Out." He said sadly before his saddened blue sky eyes met mine. "It's not your fault Layla, I would have been dead too."
I grabbed his shoulder gently squeezing it.
"Let's mourn when we are all safe." I added. "He would want us to keep fighting. So we will."
Armin and Mikasa nodded.
The others then guessed.
"Eren's gone?" The surprised tone in their voices was reassuring.
I just nodded. But Armin continued.
"Died saving me. I wish I was the one dead."
At this I hit him round the head.
"Ouch!" He exclaimed.
"I don't ever want to hear you say that again Armin." I said with a venomous tone in my voice. It was low. And that now meant I was furious. "You are worth just as much as Eren. Don't ever forget that."
"What Layla said is right Armin." Connie and Sasha chimed.
I turned looking at the group. "So here is the thing right. We are all nearly out of gas. The gas is fifteen miles that way." I pointed. "Unfortunately we are surrounded by Titans." I looked at each of them. "We are going to need to get as close as we can."
It was when I noticed cadets and garrison soldiers that had survived, the garrison looked as though they were going to argue. I just shot them a ice cold look. They soon closed their mouths.
"Armin, I need your help. Help me figure this out." I added.
Armin was brilliant, he always had great strategies. It would help him focus for now.
He looked and I could see the cogs turning slowly in his pain and numbed head before he turned to me and smiled.
"Got it."
He explained what we needed to do. Quickly we organised. Armin was to travel on Jeans back. Sasha on Connies. The garrison and other cadets would join together and help one another who was low. They didn't like the odds of survival but some of us had to make it at least.
Mikasa and I would lead, slicing and killing Titans as we went to clear a path.

Soon we set off.
Time passed quick.
Screams from the back.
A hiss, Mikasa burned through her gas much quicker than she should have and landed heavily on the floor. I had to keep going, Mikasa could look after herself, but I did motion for Jean to give me Armin and he to go and help Mikasa. I was almost out. I knew.
"Layla stop!" Armin shouted. "That house!" His arm pointed just to our right. We were all so close!
"Take the rest of my gas." Armin said, handing it to me. "I don't need it if I'm on your back." Begrudgingly I took it. While it filled I took note of where we were. So close but yet so far, and still more had died. We were down to myself, Armin, Connie, Annie, Bertholdt and Reiner. Mikasa and Jean I hoped wouldn't be too far behind.