the pollywog

part three

steve's lips were on hers. she was kissing her best friend. or her best friend was kissing her. too much was going on in lydia's brain that she didn't even feel herself kissing back. her lips were moving on their own and enjoying the feeling of steve against her. those lips that she had been looking at for years. lips that told her jokes when she was down and made her laugh until her stomach hurt. lips that pressed lingering kisses on her forehead and knuckles when she was asleep. lips that were finally pressed to her own.

even though she didn't realize it, lydia had been waiting for steve to kiss her for years. whether it be a drunken stupor or just a little peck,  she had been wanting to feel his soft lips on hers since forever. now that it was happening she didn't want it to stop.

it's just cause i'm sad right now. i'm not actually in love with my best friend. it's just comforting. and warm. and it smells like him. no, i'm not enjoying this. i can't enjoy this, he's my best friend. he's steve.

she fought with herself internally but eventually gave in and let herself enjoy this one thing. it is the first thing that has brought her genuine comfort and joy since her heart was shattered. but her mind was only filled with steve. the grip that he had on her waist ignited the fire within her and she didn't want to stop.

although it was a spur of the moment thing, steve realized that he's been wanting to do this for years. her lips always looked so soft and her breath always smelled like mint. how he could not want to kiss her? and even now she looked like the most beautiful girl that he had ever seen. even with her eyes slightly puffy and her nose twinged with red she was truly, gorgeous.

the sound of knocking at the door shocked the teens and caused them to break apart. the moment their lips parted the first thing lydia thought about was how cold her lips felt without his.

"i better get that." the flustered girl whispered as she stumbled off the couch. combing her fingers through her hair, lydia straightened out her clothes before opening the door.

"oh my baby, i forgot my house keys when i left for work this morning are you okay? steve told me what happened." the second the door opened a worried mother henderson immediately engulfed lydia in a bear hug.

"i'm alright mom, steve's actually here right now." she whispered in the hopes that her mother would give her some space to breathe. although, she was quite happy with the comforting embrace. it reminded lydia of when she used to climb into her mom's lap and play with her necklaces as she hummed an off-key tune from whatever song was stuck in her head that week. it reminded her of the strong but sweet perfume that always lingered on her clothes hours after she had left the warmth of her mother's lap. but it was a short lived because her mother promptly released her and ran over to give steve another bear hug.

"oh stevie thank you so much for taking care of my baby you know how much i love you."

"aw thank you ms. henderson, i love you too but uh, i think you're messing up the hair." he whispered the last part which made lydia chuckle a little.

steve looked over claudia's shoulder at lydia and watched as she cracked the first genuine smile he'd seen since halloween. and he wished that he could make her smile like that forever. he wished she would never feel that heartbreak again. and he vowed he would protect her from it. he would protect his girl, forever and always.