One

A sound of door opening was heard and Nandini could feel her heart beating faster than ever. She got married today and it was her first night. No, it wasn't a love but an arranged marriage. She barely knows her husband. Two meets before marriage, engagement and then marriage. They never get time to spend with each other, to know each other.

She heard foot steps nearing her and clutched her lehenga tightly in her fist. She wasn't ready for their intimacy. Will he force her? Will he even ask? She should tell him? Or he will get angry if she deny? Maa said not to deny him or upset him. Various thoughts were running in her mind.

"Nandini" hearing his husky soft voice she nearly jumped on her place but Manik was quick enough to hold her. He sat beside her. She was looking down while rolling her dupatta. He could feel her hesitation, her nervousness. He smiled.

"Hey, relax. It's okay. You don't have to be scared. I am your husband not dinosaur who's gonna eat you. Relax. Calm down." Saying this he moved forward to get her water. Nandini looked at him silently. Manik came back and again she looked down. Manik chuckled.

"You can look up. There are much more better things to see rather than your designer lehenga." Her breathe hitched hearing his teasing tone. He is such a tease! She frowned a bit. Weird person! Here I am dieing out of nervousness and he wants to tease. Aiyappa!

"Hello? Back to earth madam. What are you muttering to yourself? Anyways, take this water. You'll feel better." Nandini looked up at him who smiled at her. Oh my my! His smile. Am I flying in air? Or am I swimming in water? What the hell is this weird feeling. What's happening in my stomach? His.. his mole near lip. His well maintained body. Must be working out daily. Gawddd! He looks so damn hot. And he is mine. I mean, my husband. Nandini, what are you talking? You have gone crazy.

"Done?" Asked Manik which brought Nandini back from her wild thoughts. She frowned looking at his smirk.

"What?" She asked being confused.

"Done checking me out?" And pheww. She could feel heat rushed through her cheeks. Looking away she stuttered.

"I.. I.. wasn't checking.. you.. nothing.. like.. that.." Manik laughed looking at her. Nandini looked at him and smiled. He was looking so good while laughing. Only good, ah? Her subconscious smirked.

"Look at your face. Okay I am sorry. I was just kidding. Now take this water." Nandini nodded and took the water. Manik sat beside her. Nandini looked at him.

"Nandini, I will not beat around the bushes. I know you're not ready for our intimacy neither I am. It's just that we need a time to adjust with each other, to understand and to get comfortable with each other. To trust each other. We are husband and wife for world but we both know that we are actually just a known strangers, isn't it?" Nandini nodded. Manik smiled.

"Let's be a friends first. Best friends. There shouldn't be any secrets and lies in between us. Along with happiness, we should be comfortable enough to share our sadness, or grief with each other too. Most importantly, we should trust each other. By this, we will eventually came more close to each other step by step. What do you think?" Nandini nodded.

"You're right. I agree." Manik gave her a big smile.

"Great then, get changed. Let's sleep. I am very tired and I am sure you are too." Said Manik getting up from his place. He moved towards washroom when Nandini spoke looking down with unshed tears. She remembered something.

"Is it.. is it because I am not beautiful? I know I am a bit fat. No actually more than a bit and I promise I will do proper diet and exercise to-"

"Stop stop stop. From where did this topic come? Who said you're fat? And what diet and exercise?" Manik asked to which Nandini just looked down. Manik sighed.