The Bonfire

"Why are those names crossed out?"

Night fell upon the glade. The sun dipped below the mammoth walls making them look like tombstones. Stars came out dotting the sky like an unfinished painting. Someone tapped me on the shoulders as I sat on my hammock staring through one of the cracks in the makeshift roof. I sat up and saw Gally standing there. 

"Come on." He said. "They've got the bonfire ready."

The day went by slowly, anticipation growing at every turn for the infamous bonfire. I became aware of the gladers shouts and cheers as I stepped out of the little room if you could even call it that. I pushed past the curtain in place for a door and stepped onto the grass. 

I looked to where the noise was coming from and my eyes met a mountain of flames that reaches as tall as it could. People were dancing around and cheering. Enjoying themselves. A smile grew on my face as I turned back to Gally.

"Not bad, huh?" I shook my head before we walked towards the rest of the group. Warmth exploded all around as we got closer. The smell of campfire smoke wafted through the air making me want to melt. Something was comfortable about that smell. The logs crackled as the water inside boiled and evaporated. A strange fact to remember but somehow I did. 

"It's Gally!" Someone yelled and came up to him smacking him on the back. A couple of others came and surrounded him pushing me out of the circle. They all looked strong like Gally. Builders. 

I didn't know where else to go so I looked around for a familiar face. Hopefully, I could find Minho. 

People's faces were shadowed by the night and only illuminated by the light the flames produced. I walked around receiving hellos and 'welcome to the glades'. It was nice to be... accepted?

I scanned the area until I finally found Minho sitting with some of the other runners. At least I guessed they were runners. They all wore the same thing and tennis shoes. I wondered if I should go over there contemplating the pros and cons. I took a breath and walked over there. 

He peeled his eyes from the dead stare into the fire and looked at me. 

"Greenie." He laughed as he put his hands on his knees and walked over to me. 

"Hey," I responded. "Gally left me so figured I'd come to you."

"Mmm yes. Love being the second choice." My jaw dropped and I started trying to explain that he wasn't the second choice and that Gally came to get me before he said, "Shut up. I'm joking you shank." Then he walked away and I followed him to a large log where we could sit and talk. 

"You liking the glade so far?" He said making small talk. I nodded my head but something seemed to strike his memory. "Holy shit. Have you carved your name in?" I looked at him really confused. "Come." He got up and started in a light jog. I got up and followed him, immediately getting a chill from the absence of warmth. 

I was a bit slower than him but that made sense. We reached one of the giant walls and Minho pulled something out of his backpack. A knife and a rock. For a second I thought he was going to murder me but then my eyes adjusted and saw that names were scattered on the rock. I read some of them off. Doug, Zart, Wyck, Wes, Rob. Then some of them were crossed out. Stephen, Leo, Alfred, Eric. 

"Why are those names crossed out?" I ran my fingers over the textured surface. Minho cleared his throat and looked at his feet. 

"We lost some of them." He choked on his words immediately making me regret asking. I pulled my hand away from the wall and said sorry. "It's fine. Anyway," He started again clearing away all the tension. "We have this wall so we can keep track of people as they come and... ya know go. For good times sake." He then passed me the knife and rock. "And now it's your turn." 

I looked at him then at the wall. I hesitated on where to put it then decided to put it next to the guy named Zart. I placed the knife and hit the hilt of it with the rock. Pebbles fell to the ground and it made a scraping noise that wasn't too pleasant. But when I was done a sense of belonging filled me. 

My name carved into whatever history we were making. Y/N. Perfectly imprinted in the stone.