Twenty Three: The Golden Rule

Twenty Three

Isa was sitting on the couch, her feet propped up in Max's lap as the two watched a comedy on TV, giggling and chuckling every once in a while.

The sound of her front door lock clicking as it turned pulled the pair of friends' attention away from the TV out of curiosity-Max as to who it was, and Isa thinking it was one of her brothers, forgetting she had gotten a key made for a certain someone and he had done the same for her.

That certain someone was standing in the doorway.

Shit.

Isa had specifically invited Max over that night because she knew Adrian usually didn't come over on Saturdays unless he had stayed the day before- it was just a weird habit he had that Isa had gotten used to- she was trying to avoid drama, but drama was staring at her with very sexy, very angry eyes.

Without a thought it seemed, Isa stood up, ready to do damage control as Adrian's eyes fell from her to Max. Knowing all hell was about to break loose as his face went from his usually severe look to one of a beautiful type of rage that Isa dreaded because she knew it was directed right at her.

"Adrian-" She was immediately cut off as he gracefully made his way to Max, who stood up as he was approached.

This wasn't going to go well.

"Who the fuck are you?" Adrian demanded as he stood toe to toe with Maximus who was a few inches shorter than him, though he didn't seem scared at all, while Isa felt as if she was going to explode with worry.

She didn't want Max to get hurt, and she didn't want Adrian to be angry. She had just wanted to have a calm, fun night.

Before Isa's friend could speak, she butted in, "His name Is Max, Adrian. He's my friend, I met him a few months ago."

"Why the fuck were you laying all over him if he's just your friend?" Adrian bellowed, sneering down at Max, "You stay the fuck away from my woman." He said in that silky, fearfully calm voice of his. He had gone from screaming to almost whispering, and that scared the hell out of her.

Angry Adrian whispering was a bad sign.

Max only frowned up at Adrian, "She already told you I was only a friend. I'm not trying to steal your girl, Adrian."

Isa took Adrian's hand when she saw him starting to shake from the condescending tone Max had used, and tugged on his arm until he turned and glared down at her, "What?"

Isa wrapped her arms around his waist from behind him, letting her cool fingers rest against his muscular stomach after they snuck up his shirt, "Please don't hurt my friend." She whispered into his back, "I promise we have nothing going on; we were just watching a movie before he went to work because I was lonely."

Adrian's response stumped Isa as he demanded, "Why didn't you call me?" He asked with a bitter tone, "I would have watched a fucking movie with you."

Isa shrugged, "I haven't seen you in some days; I thought you should have some time to yourself since we're always around each other. I didn't want to be a bother."

Her response was so innocent, she saw Adrian's lips twitch before anger settled over his face once more.

"I'm going to go on and leave, I don't want to stir up any trouble between you two."

Isa peeped around Adrian to see Max smiling at Adrian, "Nice to meet you."

He had to be fucking joking.

It was never nice to meet Adrian!

Adrian backed this fact up as he just glared at the other man in response, no words spoken from those plump lips of his until Isa pinched him hard enough to make him jump, then glare down at her.