The story of Redon and Bernadette

Fayette's p.o.v.

      The days seemed to blur together with visits from the commander and infrequent visits from Aaron. We never talked about much, it usually ranged from him talking about his life here and me just sitting there silently. I would never tell anyone this, but I enjoyed him talking to me. It kept me sane. I knew Aaron wanted me to talk about my life in Araysha, which is what the humans called The Land of the Fae.I guess I have not yet opened up to him.

Telling him my name was the first step to trusting him. My whole life I have been watching the humans from afar, never talking to, or touching. It is a automatic reaction, from years of living alone. My walls that I have built up were starting to crumble with each visit that Aaron made until finally one day I decided to tell him something about myself, or more importantly my culture and beliefs.

....................................................................................................................................................................

Aaron continued to prattle on about nothing trying to get me to talk. I just kept nodding or shaking my head until he finally shrugged and got up from his seat outside my cell.

"See you some other time Fayette. Maybe next time I can hear a little about you?"

He asked this question every time he came hoping that I would say something besides just shrugging or just sitting there silently. This time was different however and I stopped  him.

"Aaron next time you come ill tell you a belief that the Fae has held for many years." I went back into my dark corner before he could respond and after a moment I heard him walk towards the door that led out of the dungeons.

.......................................................................................................................................................................

Only days has passed until he came again. This was unusual for he normally only came every week or so. Before he could give his usual greeting of 'How have you been Fayette?' I stopped him,

"Are you ready to hear the story?"

he nodded his head and dropped a bag of food through the bars. I did not bother to grab the bag. I needed to tell him the story before I lost my nerve and closed my walls once again. Taking a deep breath I began the story that was the foundation of life and death for our people.

....................................................................................................................................................................

There was once a beautiful Goddess named Leolara and she was enchanted by a young elf named Edan. She watched him as he worked his magic and made perfect life like creatures that he sold to the other Elven Folk. Every day she watched him toil at his work and soon got the courage to confront him. After a year, they were married and ever more deeply in love. Remarkably the couple had a pair of twins, which were a boy and a girl.

This pair had gossamer wings and possessed magic that was new to the world. They were the first of the Fae.  Leolara and Edan were enthralled with them and named the boy Redon meaning hope and the girl was name Bernadette meaning fair in the Elven language. Years passed and the Goddess became human from not using her magic and died along with Edan who died only days later because of his heartbreak. Lost in there grief the twins began to fall in love with each other. It was against the beliefs of the Gods and when the God Peodan found out he confronted Redon. Redon denied all of it, but Peodan having known he in love with Bernadette he killed her as punishment.

Redon was filled with grief and buried his love near there home on a quiet hill. As he put the last of the dirt on her small grave he felt a tear fall down his face and onto the ground. Falling to his knees he felt a golden leaf brush his cheek and looking up he saw a magnificent tree span over him.The branches seemed to twine together into one. He was mystified by this. Why would a tree appear where his beloved Bernadette was buried?

Suddenly his parents appeared from behind the tree hand in hand.

"My son we have given you the gift of Bernadette in this tree so that like us you could forever be with her." His mother said

Just when he as was about to ask why they were here they disappeared in a cloud of golden leaves.

Ever since that day every descendant of Bernadette and Redon became a Soul Tree when they died so that they could be with there loved ones ever after.

......................................................................................................................................................................

As she finished she heard Aaron remark "That was beautiful. Is it true?"

I just stared at him "That is my belief." I took the bag of food before walking away. Taking this as a dismissal Aaron walked away but not before saying.

"I wish it were true."