61 | Siren Call

Thank you @frissonsmiles for the beautiful covers <3

I know you're going to like this chapter.

Chapter 61: Siren Call

I love the guy, don't I?

I love him because a day doesn't end well if he and I don't kiss. And I don't want to see a day that isn't just like this.

"Song lyrics, for sure," I mumbled, typing them out to Jake.

But then I paused and deleted the message before sending. Sometimes I forget to think before I send. Writing to Jake about my love for Luke was not a sensitive move.

I was alone in my room, while the sounds downstairs started to get louder. The clock was ticking closer to evening and I was a little nervous for New Year's.

Cearra had done my make-up. I felt it on my face. This was the first time I was wearing fake eyelashes and my lips were covered in cherry red lipstick. We had chosen a more natural eye shadow to balance out the dramatic lips.

I sound like I know what I'm talking about. Ha.

I walked to the closet and picked out a red dress. It was my New Year's Eve dress, which Nicole had lent me. Short and playful, the ends flared out as I moved. (picture 7 on my Instagram Oct-21)

I asked myself, "I think I'm ready?"

I scrutinized myself in the mirror, barely recognizing the girl staring back. I looked at myself from as many angles as possible, trying to catch any flaws in the outfit. My skirt wasn't stuck in my underwear, so I guess that's a good sign.

I slipped my phone, credit card and ID into a black handbag and picked up the plastic bag on my bed. Cearra had brought it for me – it was going to be a surprise for Luke.

My phone vibrated with a text from Luke: You coming down?

I guess so. I opened the door and left the safety of my bedroom. A small part of me wanted to hide under the covers. I was scared of the background noise – the people who would judge me and call me a try-hard. I couldn't silence those inner voices, but I could ignore them.

Music was on loudly in the living room as they started pre-gaming. I heard the sound of beer cracking open and casual talking.

My heels clicked against the surface of the staircase as I walked down. My heart was pounding in my chest. What would they say when they saw me?

What would he say?

The living room was already in pregame mode. Alcohol had been brought out, NYE themed balloons floated on the ceiling and music was pumping out of the speakers.

Chad was posing between Oma and Bianca beside his white Christmas tree while Cearra took the photo.

They looked incredible. He was in a three-piece navy suit. Oma was glowing in an Ankara print dress. Cearra was killing it in a gold long-sleeved but short dress and Bianca wore a glittery pink spaghetti strap dress.

I stopped at the foot of the doorway, standing between the living room and the hall. Why was I afraid to be seen? What am I doing hiding? So embarrassing.

I stopped peering in like a giraffe and took one step inside. And then another. OK, I can walk. That's always a good first step.

Punny.

I saw Luke sitting on the couch, leaning forwards with his phone in his hands. He was talking to Austin before he looked back down at his phone, waiting for a text.