The art of meeting a child

*Nobody's point of view*

Curare age: 3 weeks

Tom Riddle gently rocked his daughter in his arms. They had been living in Riddle Mansion for only a few days and Curare wasn't even a month old. She was too young to understand that her mother had tried to kill her. Tom was still furious about that. How dare that vile women try and kill the only thing that he loved. That he would ever love.

His Curare.

As Athena didn't even want the child, she hadn't named her, so Tom chose a name. The warm feeling in his chest made him happy and he didn't want it to go away. Ever. Nagini was lying beside him. Her eyes fixed on Curare.

The little girl loved the snake and wouldn't sleep unless she was cuddling Nagini. Tom hoped she inherited the ability to speak Paseltongue. Curare pretty much interested everything else from him. The few strands of hair she had were his brown, and not her mother's dirty blonde. Her nose, mouth and everything else looked like a smaller, chubbier version of him and her eyes were emerald green, just like the ones of Tom's father had been.

Athena's family's eyes had been blue for generations and that meant that Curare looked nothing like her mother, therefor a female replica of her father. Although Tom wouldn't say it, he was more than happy that she was like him and not that ugly brute, who gave birth to her. A house elf walked into the room about an hour later and started talking.

"Master Riddle, Mr. Snape is downstairs and would like to talk to you. He says he wants to meet his goddaughter" the elf stuttered. Tom didn't look pleased. Severus had been a dear friend to him for years and he even made him Curare's godfather, but he still wasn't ready to share his daughter.

As Tom Riddle had always been seen as royalty, the fact that he had a daughter was big news and the wizarding world was buzzing with excitement to meet the young girl. Carefully he put Curare in her bed, that was rocking gently, due to a charm on it, before leaving the room, but not before checking that Nagini was keeping an eye on her.

Severus was waiting downstairs and as soon as he saw Tom, he smiled a little. "Hello Riddle, how's your daughter? I really want to meet her".

"She's fine, thank you. If you must see her, she is upstairs, but be quiet. She was asleep when I left."

"I'm surprised you left her there alone old friend. After all that happened"

"Nagini is watching over her and you can't apparat into this house. "

"You have your giant snake watching over your child?!"

Tom nodded and led the way up the stairs to the room Curare was in.

Severus was in awe as soon as he stepped in. The room really was fit for a princess. The walls were painted like the forest, with many trees and bushes. The big doorframe had carved snakes running up and down it and everything in the room was made of Mahogany wood, making it look priceless.

At the end of the room was a baby bed with a green vail around the top of it. Typical Slytherin. True to Tom's words, Nagini was lying on the floor in front of the bed, watching over the child in it.

Tom hissed something in Paseltongue, and the snake moved, but not before glaring at Severus as if warning him to behave. When Severus finally saw Curare, he was in awe. He hadn't seen that many babies, but she was by far the most beautiful, a trade that definitely came from her father.

She was wrapped in a green cloth which fit her, now open, eyes.

"What's her name?"

"Curare Riddle" Tom spoke, picking her up gently, and holding out a finger, which she immediately grabbed. Severus smiled at this. He'd never imagined that he'd see the dark lord smiling at a baby.

"Can I hold her?" He asked.

"No" Tom snapped without a second thought.

"I won't hurt her" Severus tried to coax.

Tom narrowed his eyes at his friend and glared at him. Nagini sensed the tension from her master towards this man and slithered in front of him hissing. Severus took a step back, eyeing the creature sceptically.

"Please old friend. I am her godfather".

Finally, Tom sighed and beckoned him forward. He then gently took his finger away from Curare who opened her eyes and gurgled in protest. Carefully Tom handed the baby bundle to Severus who held her against his chest, trying to ignore the serpent just under his arms, ready to catch Curare or kill him.

Curare was a light little thing. She had been smaller than most babies when she was born but that didn't affect her heath. The only thing was that Tom was even more protective over her, as he was worried, she would be weaker, due to her being born early.

Severus rocked the child in his arms, and she squealed, staring at him with her forest green eyes in wonder.

Curare had only ever seen her father and the big slithery thing. There was a woman there once too, but she was gone now. Not that she really understood who the women was or why she was gone.

Severus stopped his movements and gently tickled the baby's tummy. Curare's squeals filled the room as she wriggled around. Soon after that she started wailing, stretching her hands out to her father, trying to get to him and Tom gladly took her again.

"She's amazing" Severus said to which Tom hummed in agreement.

"I heard the wizarding schools are already fighting who gets the newest Riddle."

"Who says she'll go to school. Home-schooling is also very sufficient."

"But won't she miss being around other children? I know you want to keep her to yourself; I would want to do the same if I were in your situation, but a child needs to be around other children. "

"It's still a long time before she goes anywhere anyway." Tom said with a sigh. The thought of sending his daughter to school hurt him more than one would think. "Oh, and Severus...I don't need anyone but us knowing anything about her. Just keep quiet about the details."

Severus nodded before leaving the Riddle mansion to apparat. Tom had placed many charms around the house, so everything was safe. Nobody but him could apparat within or into the house.
The fireplace also had a protection ward around it and could only be used if you were invited and so on.

As soon as Severus arrived back at Hogsmeade people immediately looked at him. They knew he was a close friend to Mr. Riddle and also that he was his daughter's godfather.

"Ah Snape, so nice of you to join us. Did you meet the young Riddle girl?" Professor McGonagall asked as soon as he sat down at their table in the 'Three Broomsticks'. The professors of Hogwarts and a few other wizards and witches sat at a big table talking about everything and nothing.

"Yes" he answered in a dull tone.

"We were hoping you would tell us a little bit more about her" Dumbledore said with a chuckle.

"No"

Everyone at the table, and a few people who were eavesdropping sighed in annoyance.