Chapter 7

"Millie!" Elmer raced into our room, crashing into the door frame.

"Elmer!" I whipped around, brush in hand.

"We're meeting Bailey tonight!" He panted.

"Yeah." I nodded, glancing at the clock. "In half an hour."

"What do I wear?" He demanded.

"Is someone nervous?" I teased, continuing to brush out my long black hair.

"Shut it!" Elmer scoffed, digging through his drawer. 

"See, I have plans." I grinned, opening mine and pulling out a clean, unworn flannel.

"Where did you get that?" My twin paused. "What the hell?"

"Jack gave it to me to give to you." I laughed.

"When?" He demanded, taking up the shirt. 

"Few months ago." I shrugged. He put it on and it fit just like any of his other clothes. "Now put on one of your better pants."

He nodded and left to 'pretty himself up'. I finished brushing my hair out and changed into an actual dress. It was lilac purple and I've never worn it before, so it was as pristine as things can be in the Lodging House. My boots were the only shoes I owned, so I slipped those on. The half hour had pretty much passed and Elmer came back in.

"It's time!" He shuddered. "I'm really cold, are you cold?"

"No." I shook my head. He had scrubbed the dirt off his face, and was just left with bruises from the occasional fight.

"Go get Crutchie, I'll wait at the door." Elmer told me.

"Why can't you get Crutchie?" I sighed. I decided to braid my hair down my back.

"Because he's your date." He teased.

"It's not a date!" I objected, punching him on the shoulder.

"Oh, so now it's not a date?" Elmer shook his head, shoving me back. "But it was when Bailey first met me?"

Just as I was about to push him back, Crutchie popped his head in the door.

"You guys ready?" His eyes hovered on me just long enough for my twin to walk directly in front of me very slowly as to block his view.

"Yep," Elmer declared, swinging his arm around Crutchie's shoulder and leading him down the hall. "C'mon, Crutchie!"

I followed suit. He's really worked up over this, huh?

When we got out the front door, Elmer joined me at my side.

"You're tellin' me that there ain't nothin' goin' on?" He hissed in my ear.

"Not that I know of." I said again, the same thing I had said previously.

"Millie," He paused. "Tell me if something happens."

"I will." I promised. I guess we're meeting Bailey somewhere. 

"Where are we going?" Crutchie asked, looking at us.

"Bailey wanted us to meet at her house." Elmer informed Crutchie, showing him a small piece of paper with spindly handwriting. 

"OoO, Bailey!" Crutchie cooed teasingly. I let out a guffaw of laughter. My twin reached for his hat to swat me with, but realized that we agreed to leave our hats at home. Crutchie had also cleaned up, dusty blond hair fluffy and dirt-free. He didn't have as many bruises as I had thought on his face, just two. One by his eye and one on his jaw. I have a bruise on my cheekbone. That's what happened last time I got involved with an argument with the Delancey's.