Chapter Thirty Five

I had always wondered what it would be like when Castle regained his memories. Many scenarios played in my mind and my answers to every conversation that we would have, but the reality was completely different. Nothing had prepared me for this.

Devin had lectured me about following his rules, but my eyes were trailed on my newly awaked husband. Castle had sat through the grilling without a word, and Devin had assumed this to be one of Castle's usual oblivious behaviors. Then, I'd gone straight to our bedroom, and I was thinking of what I was supposed to do now that he was back.

I was quite certain that he had regained his memories unless I'd imagined what had happened downstairs and it was all in my head. His face had morphed completely, like he finally knew what was happening around him and I would be lying if I said I wasn't remotely intimidated.

I was in my bedroom, over-analyzing everything that had happened during the car ride. I'd zoned out, and Castle had been silent throughout the way home.

And then I heard it, the footsteps coming closer to the bedroom.

Cold-sweat broke over my neck as I felt his presence behind me. I knew he was standing there.

What if he wanted a divorce?

It would completely shatter my heart, but it was a possibility that I couldn't deny. As much as I loved the innocent, caring, sweet Castle, I knew the real version of him was a different man. He was a man of a high social standing, rich, powerful, and I did not even compare to that. Devin had gotten me married to Castle as some twisted revenge, and if not for that, I'd just be another employee in this house.

So if Castle told me he wanted a divorce, I would give it to him.

But I would first tell him about my feelings. I loved him wholeheartedly, and I was ready to accept the new man that he was. The money didn't matter to me. I wanted him safe and loved.

I owed it to the old Castle, the one I'd fallen in love with.

Suddenly, I wished I'd worn something better. The Castle that I knew didn't care what I wearing, but I wasn't so sure about this one.

Oh, stop it, Millie. There are no two people.

I was standing by the window, looking outside, when he stepped inside the room and I looked up. He closed the door behind him.

"Millicent." He spoke, looking directly at me.

"Castle."

He smiled knowingly while reaching out to inspect the train on the mantel. His demeanor screamed for control. "You know, I was single when I had the accident and when I woke up, it turns out I'm married." He chuckled, "It's fucking hilarious. How long has it been?"

"You've lost your memories since a year, but we married four months ago," I told him.

This is the moment he says 'yeah, but I didn't even remember marrying you. Let me pull out those divorce papers.'

He gave me a nod. "I'd like to thank you for everything that you have done for me so far. The marriage, the torture, the escape plan. None of it was included in the Caregiver's contract when you signed it, was it? Or did Devin make amends?"

I stared at him foolishly until he started laughing. The sound of it was a deep timber, like dark chocolate. He'd switched personalities. I'd never known this playful side of him.

"I...I...didn't know..."

"Are you afraid of me, Millicent? You sound very afraid." He noted.

"No, sir."