Chapter 20

Anna noticed how Rhys's eyes darted to the rearview mirror. He was on high alert in case any more of Jonathan's gang was on the hunt for them. Anna caught herself occasionally glancing in the mirror, but she never saw anyone.

After a few hours of driving in silence, they were back on the highway. Anna kept the scarf wrapped around her face. Rhys had warm air blasting from the vents in the car. The sweat was building up on Anna's forehead. She looked behind her to see that the boys were not paying any attention to her. Calvin and Drew were looking out the windows, and Huxley had his eyes closed. She looked over at Rhys to see he was focused on the road.

She no longer had her purse with her. Everything but her bag was left behind at Oz's house. She did not have the baby wipes Alice advised her to carry with her. She would not be able to wipe the blood off of her face. She did not know how much was on her, but she could still taste Darren's sweet blood on her lips.

She knew that she would eventually have to pull down the scarf. She was unsure of when Rhys was going to stop. With his paranoia, she suspected that he would be driving all day and night. She thought that maybe he would not even be upset about her killing a hunter.

Anna reached for the front of the scarf and pulled it down. She instinctively looked in the rearview mirror to try and see how much blood was on her face, but she could not see her reflection. Rhys glanced over at Anna before taking a second look. His eyes were wide.

"What is that on your face?" Rhys asked.

"You don't know what blood looks like?' Calvin asked wryly.

"I'm not an idiot," Rhys said. "I just want to know why it is all over her face."

"I killed the vampire hunter that was in the woods," Anna said.

Rhys shook his head. He tightened his grip on the steering wheel and his knuckles were turning white.

"Do you realize what you did, Anna?" Rhys asked. He was seething. "You gave away our location. Jonathan and his crew knew that there were vampires in that house because you killed one of theirs!"

Anna closed her eyes. She could not tell Rhys that she knew who Darren was. She had to kill him. If she left Darren alive Jonathan would have killed them all for sure.

"Rhys, to be fair you don't know what happened out there," Drew said. "Anna, why did you kill him?"

"Because she's a hungry young vampire that I should have never left alone," Rhys said.

"Let her speak," Drew said.

Anna bit down on her lip. Her fingers fiddled with each other.

"He was going to shoot me," she said. "If I didn't kill him he would have killed me."

"How did he know you were a vampire?" Rhys asked. "Hunters don't kill humans."

"He talked about the werewolf hunter bar," Anna said. "He knew that vampires were at that bar."

Drew leaned forward in his seat. Anna turned so that she was looking at Rhys and Drew. Drew gave her a soft smile and he put his hands on her fumbling fingers to try and comfort her.

"We weren't very subtle at that bar," Drew said. "We should have known that hunters would have been on our ass."

"How did he know that you were not a wolf though?" Rhys asked.

"I don't know," Anna said. "All I could tell you is that he was about to shoot me with a crossbow so I acted fast."

Rhys rolled his eyes. Anna was thankful she had Drew on her side. She had a feeling that was the only thing stopping Rhys from interrogating her. Rhys let go of the steering wheel with one hand and pushed Drew away from Anna. Drew shook his head as he sat back in his seat.