Boys Are Cowards

featuring: fred being a git :')

𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁

August 18, 1993

It wasn't until nearly mid-August that Elodie, George, and Fred completely mastered the rain charm, and still only George knew how to make it stick.

That meant that they were split up: Fred and Elodie to provide distraction, and George to sneak into the Slytherin dormitories.

The "lessons" with her father had payed off, if only slightly, because now her appearance in the dungeons was commonplace-she was even on a first name basis with a couple of Slytherin girls she had met last week.

By some huge stroke of luck, one of them was in the dungeon corridor when Elodie and Fred arrived.

"Hi, Romilda!" Elodie smiled politely at the intimidating brunette.

"Hello, Elodie. Hey... handsome." Romilda Vane's attention was completely taken by Fred. He smirked back at her.

"Hiya, gorgeous." He flirted easily. Elodie's insides twisted with an inscrutable rage. "Would you mind letting us into the common room for a minute?"

Romilda narrowed her blue eyes. "Whatever for?"

"I need to pick up a potions book for my dad." Elodie lied through her teeth. "Said it was in your common room."

"And to spend time with you, of course." Fred added with a wink. This seemed to subdue her, and she submitted them into the dormitories, happily chatting with Fred.

It was enough to make Elodie feel like cursing someone, but she measured her temper. She would just have to tell George to hit Romilda's bed with a little extra rain.

The Slytherins eyed them suspiciously, but Elodie browsed their bookshelves casually, searching for a book that did not exist.

Fred and Romilda were engaged in amatory conversation, and Elodie caught his eye behind her back, nodding ever-so-slightly.

Earlier that week, they had brewed an instant-darkness potion, and Elodie had used some powdered moonstone to dry the concoction into little stone-looking things.

At her signal, Fred rolled the little black rock in his palm as far as he could with still keeping his composure, and Elodie tossed three of hers in every direction.

The room was engulfed in the darkest pitch black Elodie had ever seen. Or, not seen, more accurately. George had been spared an anecdote to the darkness potion, meaning he was probably the only person in the room that could see through the fog.

George had been hiding near a suit of armor under the obscurity of a disillusionment charm, and Elodie was just hoping she had held the door open long enough for him to sneak in behind them.

The darkness had only just began to fade when an irksome second year pointed an accusatory finger at Fred.

"It was you, wasn't it? What're you doing in our common room, anyhow?" He said, in a thick Scottish accent.

"It wasn't him, I would've seen it!" Romilda vindicated. "And he's my guest, thank you very much." She added, sticking her nose in the air.

Elodie could've sworn she heard someone mutter "tart".

"Well, it was 'er, then!" The second year turned his blame on Elodie.

"Just getting a book for my dad, keep your knob on." Elodie rolled her eyes, flashing an arbitrary potions textbook in his face.