•44•

It's ironic...

The melody she remembered her mother singing sounded so distinctly real she swore it was her voice out loud.

So soft and soothing, yet it was dashed with a hint of venom... as if she never truly liked the song.

The fog kissing the ground buried the beauty of leaves and roots jutting from the earth, and the air seemed touched with death.
She'd always been a coward. Always been the first to disassociate from anything not within her realm of control.
Would she always be so selfish?
Maia could smell it again. Through the layers of dirt and wolves, underneath the sugary stench of the living dead, was the soft scent of Mia again.
Not a hint of rot or decay in the gentle notes wafting to her, yet it wasn't as similar as she remembered now.

Her senses were changing, Maia realized.

There was something sour in it, as if even the scent knew it had no right being around anymore without it's proper wearer.
Maia snapped her jaws at the ground, before releasing a howl fueled with sorrow and rage.
It was these filthy vampires. Trying to mimic and insult the memory of Mia.

Maia didn't veer off like last time towards the obvious trap. She held her  ground, following the scent of wolves where it was strongest.
She'd find the pack, and then she'd find a way off it's land.
Her safest choice likely lay within a human community, since their technology could easily link her to Lucien and her pack.

Her pack

Maia pushed herself harder. Her pack was waiting for their Luna, waiting for her to return.
With proper bonding, she'd be able to sense her pack better.

For now, she'd focus on staying alive long enough to see them.

"You came quickly" Micheal was uncharacteristically serious, his mahogany eyes grave.
Sasha still gave off a thick air of confidence and slight arrogance.
Her smile charming and she greeted them.

"When I found Felice was using this land as a hiding point, I couldn't resist" Her eyes scanned over the aggravated wolves, "I'm also not above laughing when others are down... especially these dogs with their tails tucked" She chuckled.

She didn't even flinch at the growls filling the air, even puffing up when Lucien released his own. His alpha command absolute.

"Well, I must say, you look like absolute shit" Sasha strolled past Lucien, who indeed did look haggard, straight into the pack house. Her guards stayed beside the helicopter, stiff as boards and emotionless.
Lucien snorted humorlessly, but he didn't feel the lack of sleep or food. He only felt his bond with Maia wavering. He could barely feel her vitals, let alone her emotions or true state.
She was probably terrified... alone and scared... or worse...

He nearly shifted in rage.
Micheal threw a hand on his shoulder to comfort.
They didn't need to speak, because no words would help.

He needed to find Maia... but this pathetic pack could turn at any moment.
Lucien calmed himself, glancing at Sasha's retreating figure...

He followed, quickly matching her pace.

"Planning to run off on your own?" She didn't turn when speaking.

"That would be foolish" Lucien growled.

"It would- but you smell horrid. Please go shower before stewing in your misery some more" She flashed a toothy smile at a nervous looking woman.
The Luna of this pack. Maddox's mate.

The wolf was small, and truly lacking in the department of a female alpha.

"We could just kill her and bring the traitor wolf and Felice straight to us" Sasha boldly proclaimed.

"What-"
The female could barely speak in her horror.

"It would send the pack into a frenzy, and I'd rather not eliminate the entire pack before finding my Mate" Lucien felt slightly less bitter after hearing Sasha's decisive cruelty.

"Then what is your plan?" Sasha finally looked at Lucien when they stepped into the office.
Her white fox coat looked out of place in the rustic room.

"Since you're already here... why not play God with the wolves?" Lucien smiled, though it didn't reach his eyes.
His canines and wild eyes painted a maddened picture.
Sasha laughed, her face relaxed and unsurprised.

"I figured you'd ask-"

A few howls echoed in the distance.

Maia was on an obvious trail, and she could sense the actual scents of wolves nearby.
Her paws never slowed; even as a few howls were released.
Warnings, but she ignored them. Her wolf bristled, released her own growl of war. She was ready to fight.

Maia was blind sided when a force took her off the ground, she reacted quickly, bolting away and back so she could face the enemy.

A dusty blonde coat, this wolf looked ordinary.
Only slightly larger than herself.

They were in a brief lockdown before it lunged with practice.
Maia was faster.
She went under the lunge, before snapping a leg in her mouth.
The cry of pain fueled her further, as she tumbled with the wolf, both snapping for a better angle.

Maia didn't stop when a searing pain entered her shoulder.
She didn't cry when a hind leg caught her stomach.
She kept pushing, rolling, before a soft scruff entered her mouth and she bit.

It didn't go down at first, struggling harder to free itself.
She clamped down harder, feeling the warmth of blood rolling across her tongue. She viciously shook her head, the flesh and fur tearing away before the wolf went stiff.

Maia released when it stopped breathing.

She took off again, her movements slightly off while her body healed.
The scent of death was heavy, but she knew the pack would feel the link disappearing.
They'd be on her soon.

She ran faster, a mere blur through the trees while wolves began to surround her.
She was faster, more lithe at dodging. They were trying to box her in...

She was tired, but just picturing Lucien in her mind was enough to keep her running. She'd never stop, Maia realized.
She'd never stop trying to get back to him, even when facing death.

It was like she could smell him, feel him near, as she let instinct keep her going. She just needed to find herself off these lands. Stay alive.

Stay alive. Stay alive. Stay alive...

A black flash leapt over her, and then several more.
Howls of battle ensued. Maia was confused, staggering in her step before stumbling and rolling to her belly.
She could only pick her head up to watch...

Her mate. Lucien.

He was here.

He came