chapter fifteen *

TW: mentions suicide

~Harry~

Suspense shot through Harry's body as he carefully walked down the stairs with Gemma following close behind him. He could hear her breathing slowly start to calm down as he turned to look at her one more time before entering the kitchen. He doesn't speak as the two look at one another, Gemma giving him a small smile and nod allowing him to know that it was okay for them to continue. Even though he would never admit it, knowing that Gemma was going to be there with him through it all made it a lot easier.

He couldn't help but wonder if his mother had any idea just how terrified the two truly were to meet the guest for the evening. Wondering if she has any clue just how fucked up they both were as their shaky hands and cautious footsteps lead them into the kitchen.

The door swung open and there in front of them stood the man of the hour. He was shorter than he expected, his glasses accentuating the roundness in his as he watched their mother adoringly before turning to the pair of siblings in the doorway. When he fully turned around Harry chuckled at what the man had been wearing.

How fucking rich.

His mother forgot to mention one slight detail to him when hounding him about this meeting. The fact that her prince charming... was a fucking cop.

The familiarity of the man catches Harry off guard as they take a closer look at one another, neither of them speaking as their mother finished cooking over the stove. Gemma is still hidden behind Harry - the taller stature of her younger brother acting as a shield to her much smaller frame - as Harry stands tall, protecting her from the visitor neither of them wanted.

"It's great to meet you," the man says as he takes a step closer to the two, sticking his hand out for Harry to shake, "I'm Robin." He remains silent as he looked the man up and down before scoffing as he knocked his shoulder into the older man's much shorter one. Harry was a good five inches taller, but the width of the man in front of him could definitely be seen as a disadvantage.

"Hello," the voice of his sister called out, causing Harry to turn around and watch as the fear in his sister's eyes slowly start to fade, "I'm Gemma."

Harry didn't miss the way she froze for a moment when Robin took his hand in her own about to step in until he saw her relax and shake his hand with a hesitant smile on her face, "It's a pleasure to meet you." His voice was so familiar it almost hurt Harry to hear, it was as if he had been mocking him, like Robin had known something that Harry didn't.

As he stared at the man in the middle of the room, he didn't hear his mother walk over to him, placing a hand on his arm to grab his attention. He turned around to see that she has a smile on her face, one almost as big as the one she had this morning as she said through her tenth, "Play nice Harry."