•45•

She didn't remember much. The world was going in slow motion, yet it all happened so quickly.

Lucien was terrifying.

It was pure power behind him. The enormous black wolf was like a god of death, even as several wolves attacked at once, he didn't even flinch as he killed them one by one. His paws stepped on necks, his jaws tore heads off, he was dying himself in blood it seemed.

Maia wanted to shut it out. Wanted to close her eyes... but her wolf wouldn't allow her to disrespect their mate.
He was showing his prowess and ability.
He was courting her in a way which was as old as their kind.
Maia used to tune out such old stories her Noona had told her when young.
When they were little, Mia liked hearing the stories of males killing enemies before their mate. She found it heroic... and Maia found it vulgar.

Not anymore. She struggled to her feet, shaking off the pain.

She shot off, straight towards a wolf trying to attack his left flank.
This wolf was even bigger than the one she faced before, but she felt no fear this time.

Her mate was here

Kill the threat

She only registered what her wolf pushed towards her, and dug her claws into the wolf to take it off her mate.
She did exactly as she did to the wolf before.
She tore it's throat out.

Even exhausted, Maia went straight for the next.
This time, it fought back fiercely. A scar ran across it's muzzle. Maia snarled, dropping low for a better angle when it lunged... focus entirely on her.

A flash of red, and the wolf was decapitated.
Maia bristled at the threat; ready to strike against the new enemy...

But the scent was too familiar, and the thrum of life in her soul told her this was her pack.
Micheal.

He stared for a moment, even as Maia lowered her stance.
Her wolf took the lead. Stalking forward to sniff at him.

Micheal lowered his head and bore his throat.

He submitted.

She felt a feeling of elation, howling as the night came.

She didn't remember much after it ended and the night became silent.
She had dropped in exhaustion.

Maia was in his arms the moment the pack was eliminated.
Lucien hadn't expected to end them so quickly, but she was being attacked.
The relief was tangible.

Maia had shifted after she collapsed, her small form limp in his arms.
She was dirty, horrifically thin, but she was alive.
Lucien's eyes watered, holding her like glass to his chest while he breathed her in.

"My sweet girl..." Lucien felt the laugh bubble up, manic.

She hadn't just found her own way back... she'd fought. Fierce like a warrior and extremely efficient.
Lucien prayed... prayed and gave his thanks to the Goddess for returning his beautiful mate.

"Why hasn't she woken?" Lucien growled at the pack doctor for the nth time. Micheal and Bambi waited beside the door, both looking apprehensive.
Willow was outside the room with Payten.

"Luna has been put through very serious trauma, she's lost a dangerous amount of weight, and sustained a multitude of injuries" Doc ran a hand through his graying hair, "She needs rest Alpha, and only her body will decide how much. There is nothing else we can do but allow her to heal naturally".

The room became still, as Lucien stared at the delicate beauty resting peacefully.
She'd look perfectly normal if it weren't for how pale she was.
She looked like a doll, barely any signs of the usual lively Maia.

Lucien could only sit beside the medical bed, and hold her hand to steady himself.
Even when she was in such a state, he relied on her..
Lucien grimaced, bringing her fingers to his lips to kiss.

"Wake up for me soon baby..." He was helpless... again.

She was swimming... or floating.
She felt warm. Safe.

The dark eyes of Lucien stared at her, those thick lashes lowered.
His hands were on her.

She felt like she was burning and he was ice.

Soothing.

She could feel his lips. Feel his hard body...
She didn't want to wake if this was a dream.

"Come back to me..." his whisper was ticklish against her ear. Maia moaned, wanting those hands to touch more of her, but he held them firmly on her hips.
She tried to move but found she could not.

"Let me see those pretty eyes"
She wanted to speak, tell him she was right here, but no words came out.
Why couldn't she speak?

She whined, struggling to get up, out of the comforting water.
She wants to touch him, feel him, see him clearly.

"I need you... I'm so sorry..." Her prideful Luci was apologizing? For what? She wanted to bury herself in his arms and soak up his comfort.

"I want to be with your forever... hold our pups together..." She wanted that too!

The water around her was becoming cold. She felt cold.
Her body felt weak as her senses returned and she could hear around her.
An annoying beeping, the beat of a heart, her breathing...
She cracked her eye open as feeling returned, the brightness stung and she quickly shut it with a groan.

"Maia!" She felt disoriented, but the delicious scent of Lucien calmed her. He pulled her up close into his arms.
She relaxed, burying her face into his shirt like she had wanted to do in her dreams.

No... she wishes he didn't wear the shirt.

"Luci..." her voice was a croak.

"I'm here" he held her tighter.

"Kiss me" her words caught him off guard, pulling away to look down at the teary eyes he'd fallen in love with. She looked different, less vibrant and subdued... but her eyes were sharp and filled with clarity.
He could only force his instincts down and softly press his lips against her own.
Her arms wrapped around his neck, and he nearly purred.
With force he wasn't expecting, she bit his lip hard enough to draw blood.

He growled, ready to question her actions, when a small tongue slipped into his mouth and he lost it.

He had her pressed to the bed, arms above her hand and clasped in a firm grip.
He devoured her. Tasted everything he'd missed. Drank her in.

When she mewled, back arching up off the bed and legs wrapping around his waist, he vaguely wondered if he'd be taking her in a hospital... but the door opened with uninvited company.

"Alpha! She needs rest!" Doc blew up with anger, while Lucien glared. Maia laid limp, staring somewhat blankly at Doc.
Lucien wanted to tell the older wolf to screw himself, an immature response from his youth when he'd come to his house with half a life in the middle of the night...

He took a closer look at Maia... his beautiful mate was still weak and recovering.
He reluctantly pulled her into his lap, ending the passion in favor of care. Her health came first.

She wouldn't be leaving his sight ever again.