71. You Are So Thick

_______________________________

.

.

.

Abrianna wasted no second in stepping forward and slapping River hard. The impact had her stumbling back, but Mateo was there to keep her on her feet.

"You manipulative bitch!" She spat.

"Mama, enough!" Alessio stepped in but she pushed him back by his chest and turned to River. "Wait and see you vermin, I will take away your family like you did mine!"

Mateo was red with anger. He was about to give her a piece of his mind but was cut off.

"Huh?" Alessia voiced out, gaining all of their attention.

River's cheek burned and she could taste the metal inside but she wasn't going to rub it and give her the satisfaction of having hurt her.

"Nonna, you fucking invited that bastard back into my house!" Alessia screamed. "You fucking tried to tear me apart once again!"

"Alessia, how dare-"

"NO!" She screamed again making Katrina and River flinch. She looked so much in pain and this time, she was not going to keep it all in, and for that both of the women were proud of her.

Mateo's arms tightened around River and she looked up at him. His eyes were on her cheek which was most probably red and swollen by then. River's eyes were teary from the impact and she was sure that her dumb-ass must have mistaken it for emotional tears.

"I didn't keep mum because I was going to comply with whatever decision you were making today! I kept mum because I wanted to see what my brother and Papa would do about this whole situation! I wanted to see if they will choose me or the fucking mafia!" She yelled.

"Honey, it's not like that!" Katrina grabbed her daughter's arm.

"IT IS LIKE THAT!" She screamed. "You all weren't there for me when I was weak. Now you are taking my side when I am more than capable of standing up for myself!"

She took a deep breath and lowered her voice. "The world could be ending but I won't go back to that guy. Deal with it Nonna." And she turned to River. "Come on River. We are flying back to New York tomorrow. We need to do the packing."

"See, it's she who has manipulated my grandchildren."

"Ugh, give it a rest woman!" River finally said and looked up at her. "I have nothing to do with this family. I am your grandson's baby mama and granddaughter's good friend. That's all I am. Don't blame this decade old feud on me!" River then turned to Alessio and Katrina. "I am sorry both of you. It was really nice meeting you." The two just smiled back sadly and she walked away from the tense room with Alessia by her side, linking her arm with hers.

As soon as the two women reached Alessia's room, River closed the door behind her after peeking at the corridors. "I was actually expecting her to come at me with an elephant gun or something!" River said finally to which Alessia laughed out loud.

"Oh trust me River, if it wasn't for Mateo, she actually would have." She chuckled as she quickly grabbed her weapon bag, the only luggage she carried around.

"Well, technically I wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for Mateo so..."

"Which reminds me, you will have to deal with his pettiness and anger and childishness now."

"Why?" River asked, confused. What did she do now?

"You will see." Alessia shook her head, feeling sorry for the clueless doctor but also very excited for the drama that were to unravel between the two.