23

Nathaniel's eyes snapped open as his relaxed body stiffened. His adam's apple bobbled up and down as his jaw clenched slightly. He turned to face me, an indecipherable look on his face.

His eyes screamed with emotions, yet his face was so stoic. I knew I made a mistake of confessing my love for him and was prepared to leave, when his body stopped me.

He rolled over and rested on his elbows looking deep into my eyes. His lips crashed into my own and he cupped my face as I tugged on the collar of his shirt.

We parted ways and panted out loud after that mind-blowing kiss. I expected him to say anything after that, but he just stood up and held out his hand. I looked at him confused and he sighed before finally opening his mouth.

"We should head back into the castle before anyone notices our disappearance. We also have to talk to my mother about the issue."

His jaw clenched as he said those last words and I readied myself for the inevitable. I was expecting those three words, but at least he is speaking to me. I take his hand and stand up, dusting the sand off my robe.

We walk back to the castle side by side, not touching or uttering a word. Just when everything was returning to normal, I just had to ruin it. A part of me knows he feels the love too, maybe he hasn't realized it just yet.

I wanted to bring the topic up, but I knew it was just not the time. The castle was just a few meters away and we have other issues to deal with.

I greeted the maids good day before heading to my private chambers to bathe and dress accordingly. Although Nathaniel and I share a chamber, we also have private ones. At times like these, I was grateful for the privacy.

I braided my hair and wore my crown while adorning my neck with a simple necklace. The ring that represented our bond through marriage shone brightly against my tan fingers. Until the crowning ceremony, I was told by the royal advisor that my title would remain as Princess of Alasia despite my marriage to King Nathaniel.

"Princess, the King is addressing you to the royal hall."

"I'll be there in a moment."

I let out a deep breath and looked at myself in the mirror. Even if Nathaniel didn't love me, he had a fair reason. I couldn't even protect myself, in Alasia nor here. I was nothing like the fair women from here. I was an outcast; who was deemed to be unfit for a peasant here, let alone a queen. 

Another part of me, the royalty and bravery that flowed through my blood knew that I was fit for Nathaniel.

I look at the mirror once again before heading to the royal court. I am not sure what to expect or how the events will transpire and that alone ignited the anxiousness that was already there.

The guards opened the door and everyone turned their heads in my direction as I walked in. I heard the door close behind me, knowing this will be a very private conversation. Only the guards who assisted Nathaniel's mother that day were present along with my husband, my mother-in-law, Killian, and a woman who stood beside him. A scarf around her head blocked most of her face, although I can see her tan hands.

I walked up to them and stood by Nathaniel's side. I lifted my head up at Genevine and looked at her, feeling no fear or insecurities. For once I am not alone and she does not have power over me.

"Mother, you have committed a crime against the future Queen of Nordfjord. If you were not the former Queen you would have been hanged to death.

For the years, you dedicated to the kingdom of Nordfjord, you will be banished for life from this kingdom. If you do not agree to this, the only other option would be death."

"How dare you! I gave birth to you and spent years raising you to be the man you are! Now you banish me for some whore you married a few days ago! Has lust and love perhaps blinded your judgements?"

"Of course not! Lust and love have not affected me nor my judgement towards the injustice you've committed. Actions have consequences and you have imprisoned my wife."

His arm banged on the side of his throne as he stood up and growled those words. I felt my heart nearly shatter at his words. He did not love me nor did he find me admirable. There can be no bigger insult for a wife, let alone one who professed her love hours before.

I discreetly wiped away the stray tear that fell down my eyes, as I tried to withhold the sob that tried to escape me. Nathaniel noticed it, before realizing the words he said. The anger he felt moments ago dissolved into regret and guilt. He took a few steps towards me as I stretched my arm for him to stop.

"Everyone leave this room."

"No, stay. Your mother punished me because of a few misunderstandings. Now that it is clarified we can all move in from the past. I do not want to be the reason for the separation between a mother and her child."

I told everyone in the room, praising myself silently for sounding strong and not showing that my heart nearly shattered moments ago to the man I told to keep it safe.

I walked up to Killian's wife who held her head down and covered her face with her scarf. I grabbed her hands and a sense of familiarity engulfed me.

"Thank you so much for calling my husband that day. I will never forget this selfless action of yours and will always be in gratitude."

She nodded her head and bowed silently. As much as I wanted to investigate who this mysterious woman is, my resolve was breaking and I felt my feet exit the royal court and walk towards the garden.

I ran wherever my feet took me and found myself on the river bank. I fell to my knees and let out a heart-wracking sob. As if a dam had broken, tears rolled down my face and I tried to cover my mouth to hold in the cries.

This felt more painful than any of the physical bearings I've endured. It felt as if someone took my heart out of my chest and squashed it with their bare hands. At the same time, it felt like I was drowning in a sea of heartbreak and sadness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
More hurdles for our favourite couple 😭
Who do you think is the mysterious wife of Killian?
Do you think the King of the North would fall in love with his wife or is his heart as cold as his land?
Lmk your thoughts :)