Chapter Four: Burns

"My mom raised me in his house. I never met my dad. My mom never talked about him... so I sense that there was some enmity between them, and that's why she never talked about him. As far as I know, my mom also grew up on Bespin before me. It's all I've ever known. The sky. The clouds... I dreamed for a long time of getting off that planet. All my life really."

"And you stayed with him?"

Thell looked back up at the sky from their spot leaning against the log. The sun was setting now, and they were just starting to see the stars from where they lay in the middle of the woods. Grogu was sleeping in Thell's arms, snoring softly, warm against her chest. She had nearly cried when he had crawled into her lap and Mando had approved. This is where she could see herself for a long time, even if she didn't know either of them well. For once, she felt happy, and safe.

"My mom died when I was twelve... She got this sickness that ravaged Bespin for two years. There was no cure, and I watched her wither away."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

Thell blinked away a tear. She hadn't spoken of her mother like this in years, to anyone.

"She was my best friend. I relied on her for everything. She taught me so much and it was all gone so quick... That's why I stayed. Because she made Darand promise to take of me after she was gone. He wasn't by perfect by any means, but at least I had a roof over my head."

The Mandalorian was quiet, and Thell lay her head back, running one hand softly down Grogu's back. It was comforting to have the small creature, the one that it seemed everyone was after, breathing softly against her. Completely safe for the moment.

"I didn't have many friends growing up, none at all, really... I mostly just kept to myself. It was... lonely."

"Do you know anything about your father?" Mando asked quietly.

Thell shrugged. "Not much." She reached under her tunic for the necklace that lay hidden under her clothes. "I do have a necklace though that..."

Boom!

Something thundered in the distance, and the Mandolarian shot to his feet while Thell gathered Grogu close to her, who had woken up and was whining pitifully.

"Shh, shh," Thell cooed, brushing his head with her hand. "It's okay."

The Mandalorian had his blaster pistol out, and the other arm raised with his fist clenched. Thell waited silently, letting her eyes flicker through the dark woods. In the distance, perhaps many meters from them, she spotted a small orange glow. It seemed to get brighter and brighter as she looked at it, until a sudden humming noise rang in her ears.

There was a great flash of light and pain in her arm as she stumbled, or was rather thrown to the ground. In the blur of pain and haze, she blinked, spotting the Mandalorian crouching over her. His armored leg was digging into her's, almost bruising, and she strained against his hold.

"Take the kid, and get back to the ship, now!" He hissed, with the most urgency she had ever heard from him.

Releasing her, Thell scrambled to her feet, arms tight around Grogu who was crying against her chest. She fled through the dark of the woods in the direction of the Razor Crest, hoping and praying that Mando would be safe. She could hear blaster fire and more loud booming coming from behind her, but she didn't risk a glance over her shoulder. Thell's first priority had become Grogu, because Mando loved the little green companion, and part of her was learning to appreciate him, too.

Finally the Razor Crest came within her view, and Thell plowed up the side of the telescopic gate, slamming her hand down on the control switch that swung the hatch back inside. As soon as it was closed, and all went silent, she collapsed against the side wall, panting deeply.