Chapter 5

Light from Jennie's phone filled the dark room. She looked over at the clock. It was almost midnight. She wasn't asleep; she was about to get up anyway, so she grabbed her phone.

Jisoo: 'Hey, Jennie! Let's do coffee tomorrow?'

Jennie rolled her eyes. It was just two days after seeing her on her date. Jisoo was a fucking piece of work.

Jennie typed out, 'Can't, I'm busy.' and hit Send. Almost immediately, Jisoo's response came.

Jisoo: ':( K, text me when you're free!'

Jennie's thumb hovered over the phone icon, deciding whether or not she should phone her and call her out on her shit, but a voice next to her in bed interrupted her.

"Baby, get off your phone..." the woman said (her name was Chahee, if she remembered correctly. Jennie made note not to actually call her anything, just in case she was wrong). She wrapped her arm around Jennie's waist; Jennie pulled away.

"I gotta go, babe," Jennie mumbled, getting out of bed and throwing on her clothes and strapping on her cast. She heard her voice ask her to wait, stay, that she didn't get her number, but Jennie pretended not to hear her and slammed the front door behind her.

She still felt the woman's touch against her skin; for a moment she let herself pretend they were from Jisoo's hands.

-

Jennie fidgeted on the examination table waiting for the doctor. It had been weeks since she last spoke to her. Jennie's pride didn't allow her to text Jisoo back after that night but she hadn't heard from the doctor either.

Time did absolutely nothing to lessen the embarrassment over having feelings for someone who didn't give two shits about her.

Much to her disappointment, when Jisoo came into the examination room, the butterflies came back.

Jennie was screwed. She was so fucked up. She broke her own damn heart and seeing the doctor's beautiful smile, completely unaware that she hurt her, made her feel even more weak and pathetic.

"Hey Jennie. How's it going? I haven't seen you in awhile."

Jennie could barely meet her eyes. "I've been okay."

Jisoo's eyebrows furrowed. "Are you sure? Is it your leg, are you feeling any pain?"

She has no fucking idea. Jennie snapped. "My leg's alright."

"...Ooookaay," Jisoo drew out. Jennie looked at her, pointedly in the eyes, which seemed to appease the doctor – slightly. "Well, Jennie, let's get on with your appointment. We don't want to keep Chaeyoung waiting."

Jisoo ran through the general checklist; Jennie's responses were short and succinct. The sooner she could get out of here, the sooner she could breathe again.

(She is just one of many. She's nothing. She's just a girl. She's no one.)

Jisoo frowned. "Okay, what's going on Jennie?"

"Nothing. I'm fine," she said through gritted teeth.

"You're not yourself." Jisoo sounded concerned and invested. Jennie seethed. How could she be so thick?!

She glared. "Sweetheart, you don't know me."

Jisoo's shoulders sagged. "Well, I thought we were changing that?" she asked. Her voice was small; it made Jennie feel better.

She hoped Jisoo felt an iota of what she was feeling.

(She's not nothing. You're nothing. You're nothing to her.)