chapter seventeen

Things did not go back to normal

Mawra sighed exasperatedly as she received weird glances from the office staff. Yesterday has been the most awful day of her life, and Ibrahim didn't talk with her much except for his one-word answers when necessary. He was still very mad, and he completely lost it when she asked him to stop the car at the regular place like every other day. She fought back her tears and walked into the elevator as she took an inward sigh.

"Hey!" Zara, the receptionist was also present in the elevator, who gave her a smug smile. Mawra was so not prepared for this encounter, but she didn't have any chance anyway.

"What?" she didn't mean to snap, but her awful mood is bringing out the mean streak which she never knew has existed before.

"Wow. I just said hi. Is everything okay? Why did you say no though? We all are curious." Zara batted her eyelashes innocently, annoying Mawra to the fullest.

"I'm already married. That's why" 

The smirk on Zara's face was replaced with shock as she was out of words, for the first time in forever, "he should have asked me if I was interested, before pulling such stunt." Mawra snapped angrily. 

"I hope you'll spread the news and do me a favour." rolling her eyes, Mawra walked out of the elevator and took slow steps towards her cabin, after dropping her handbag on the table, she walked outside to prepare his regular coffee. That man is obsessed with them. A small smile played on her lips at that thought.

"Excuse me, sir." knocking at his door, she entered his office along with the mug and gulped the lump formed in her throat, Ibrahim didn't even lift his head nor acknowledged her presence. Her heart stung at his actions. Taking slow steps, she distractedly walked towards his table, but trips on her heels and spills half the mug of hot coffee on her cream-white shirt and winces in pain, thankfully she was able to balance quickly and didn't fall down otherwise, she'd have broken her nose or bones.

"What is wrong with you?" a panicked Ibrahim, stopped whatever he was doing and rushed towards her.

"Uh." Mawra was at a loss for words, as he dragged her to sit on his chair and examined her. The care in his eyes made her heart flutter in happiness. Despite everything, he still cared for her.

"You should change into something else, wait... Is it burning?" Ibrahim asked with fear and concern, as he took the mug from her, which she still held in her hands and placed it on his table.

Mawra shook her head in no. Tears welled up in her eyes for some unknown reasons, that's the most he has talked about in the last few hours. His silent treatment was such a torture for her and she was glad that the coffee got spilt on her, thanks to her heels. He at least talked because of it. His every action affects her in a way she could have never imagined. But he was affecting her.

"Its fine, really. I don't have any spare dress. But this stain looks odd, I think I'll just go home." she whispered tiredly whilst blinking away her tears, the whole night she couldn't sleep a wink and was facing its consequences now. Ibrahim gave her a look. She tries to be a strong person but behind that there's also a sensitive person, who cries easily. It was one of her biggest weakness and she has never showed it to anyone else but him.

"How did you trip by the way?" he asked curiously whilst leaning against the table, and she gave him a sheepish look, "I can be clumsy at times. I didn't sleep yesterday, its the effect of that I guess."

"You didn't sleep?" the care in his voice brings back the hidden tears once again, and she nodded her head sadly, "I can't sleep if I'm stressed." Ibrahim's face softened at that, "do I have anything important today?"