Chapter 13: Annabeth, meet Loki

The kitchen wasn't very badly destroyed, much to my relief.

Mom and Paul were surprisingly okay with it, assuring me I would get better but not very convincingly.

They said they would go out for a coffee while my training was going on, so they wouldn't disturb me, but I knew better. They were scared. Of me. Hurting them. And honestly, if I were them, I'd be scared too.

But for now, it was my break and I was going to enjoy it.

I munched a blue cookie and plonked down on the couch, watching Loki carefully.

Loki stared at the cookie.
"What is that?" he asked, pointing to the jar of cookies I had conveniently put on the table next to me.

"It's a cookie," I mumbled, my mouth half full of chocolatey goodness.

"And what does this cookie do?" Loki asked, still frowning.

"It tastes good," I replied, taking a cookie out from the jar and holding it out to him.

He took it gingerly and studied it carefully.
"I have never tried many of the different food mortals eat," he said, watching entranced as some of the crumbs fell to the floor.

"Eat it," I said, "Mom's cookies are the best."

Loki slowly raised the cookie to his mouth and took a small, careful bite.

His eyebrows raised in pleasant surprise and he took a bigger, more ravenous bite.

"I did not know Frigg possessed the power to make these magical cookies," Loki said, crumbs spilling out of his mouth.

Just then, I spotted a familiar stone–faced, blonde girl walked through the doorwat with a calculating look in her beautiful gray eyes.

"Annabeth," I said as she sat next to me.

She traced the scar on my forehead and I tried desperately to stop the visions from coming, but it was too late. I watched blood covered self laugh at my friends screaming for help.

"Are you okay, Percy?" Annabeth asked, looking at my worriedly.

"Yes," I said, my voice wavering, "I will be."

"Why is that thing here?" she asked, nodding to Loki standing in the corner.

"He's teaching me Norse stuff," I replied, not wanting to tell her the entire truth.

Annabeth turned and looked at me.
"You can't trust him, Percy. Magnus has told me of all the terrible things he's done. He's killed innocent people."

My friends' dead bodies flashed in front of my eyes.

I took a deep breath.
"Perhaps he's changed?"

Loki cleared his throat.
"You both realise I am standing right here, do you not?"

Annabeth huffed in annoyance.

"What do you have to say for yourself?" She asked, not looking at him directly.

Loki sighed.
"I have done many terrible things in my life. You are right, I have killed many innocent mortals and those of the divine blood. I am not proud of my actions but I did not know any better. I thought the world would never forgive me, just hate me for what I have done in the past, but my children have shown me that even though people may judge, you can still me good person. My children have not had an easy time. They were judged and were treated harshly because of me. And I do not want that. I want to be a good parent. I want to show the world I have changed. And that is why I am here."

Annabeth snorted.
"Nice speech. How long did it take you to come up with it?"

Loki didn't reply.

"Do you really think we would believe such a thing? You are literally the god of lies. "

Loki looked at Annabeth sorrowfully.
"I am sorry you do not believe me. But please, let me prove it to you. Tell me to do anything and I will do it. "

"I want you to leave Percy alone," Annabeth said, her tone full of disgust.

"That I cannot do. He is my fregna. It is my duty to teach him and show him the Nordic ways."

Annabeth scowled.
"I figured you'd say that," she muttered.

Loki looked at my girlfriend, with a look that could almost be described as sympathetic. 
"I know you do not trust me. Not even my own mother does. But all I ask from you if a chance. A flicker of hope for me to redeem myself. "

Annabeth still looked dubious.
"Swear that you will not hurt Percy."

"I swear on my sál that I will not hurt Percy or anyone else you do not wish me to hurt," Loki said, solemnly.

Annabeth analysed the words, looking for hidden meanings and seeming to find none, gave a short, sharp nod at Loki.

"I've rested now," I said, stuffing another cookie in my mouth, "can we start training again, please?"

"Yes," Loki said, in between laughs, "let's."