Chapter 20, Safety

Chapter 20, Safety

October 12th, 2008

Cassidy's POV

    It's five in the morning, and my body was tired. My mind with everything right now, wouldn't let me go to sleep. There's no way, I had to keep Jack safe. Spencer was upstairs checking in on Jack. We've been taking turns, making sure no one is trying to enter from upstairs.

    I was sitting down on the couch, watching television to just try and keep myself occupied. All I thought about though is how Aaron is. I wanted this situation to end up with Haley alive, but from the sounds of it he's a narcissistic asshole, who won't give her up that easily.

    "Hey, how's Jack?" You ask, as you hear Spencer come back down the stairs.

    "He's still sleeping. Come in the kitchen, please." Spencer says, and you nod. You got up calmly, knowing that he's trying to remain as calm as he can be.

    Walking into the kitchen, Spencer looks freaked out. "I'm going to go back upstairs and get Jack, since he knows me a little better. I just got a call from Hotch, Foyet is here. Foyet is the kidnapper. I need you to go back and sit in the living room, while I get Jack. Then him and I will leave for the car. I want you five seconds behind me. Don't make it obvious you're going to run out of the house. We need to make him think we went to bed." Spencer says, and my anxiety heightens.

    "Okay. Spencer, if for whatever reason I can't make it-" I start, but he cuts me off.

    "No, you will make it. Just pay attention to the little noises." He says, and I nod.

    "I-If I don't I want you to tell Aaron that I love him. Can you do that?" I ask. Spencer and I have gotten close, but I don't think we could really date.

    "Of course, Cassie. Get a bottle of water, and go back out into the living room." He says, and I do just that.

    Spencer goes back upstairs, acting completely normal. I go back to the living room, and we cut the hall light off. A few minutes later, I hear Spencer coming back down the stairs. "Okay, Cassie. Five seconds, and then shut the light off. He will think we went to bed and I want you to leave. Make sure to shut the door so it doesn't give it away where you're heading." He says, and I nod.

    I listen to them walk out the door, and I count to five slowly. The fear that's instilled into me is prominent. I can't let it show. I get up, and turn off the light. I make my way to the back door, in a calm manner when I hear the front door start to rattle, like someone is getting in. Shit! The door I was by, led to the garage. I open it, and shut it quickly. I couldn't see, except for the small light of the moonlight shining through a small window.

    I walk quietly in search of a side door. I make it around the garage, ducking down. There's a car that looks like it needs to be tuned in the garage. I keep myself ducked under that in case Foyet tries to look for anyone in the house. Walking around, I saw a knob and I opened the door. I shut it behind me, and looked around to see where I was.