Chapter 10- Stunned, early graduation and trial

I couldn't believe what he had asked.
For a while- I had no idea how long I sat there, my mouth wide open.

He chuckled. "You don't have to answer right now Cadet. But I think you would be a great asset to any team on the scouts or other regiments. Especially with your quick thinking and resourcefulness." He stood. I slowly stood with him and saluted. "Take the time to think about it and answer me after the trial tomorrow. Your dismissed."
"Yes sir." I breathed leaving the study my fist clenched.
I don't know how I made it to the dining hall but I did.
Jean had done as I had asked and saved me a seat, I shook my head when he asked if I was alright. And added I didn't want to talk about it right then.

Silence mainly met our meal. I was not sure how good ended up in my stomach.
I had a decision to make it seemed, earlier than expected.
My decision would not change the Scouts were for me, but could I enter early?
What about my friends?
Then I knew.

Eren's trial day came sooner than I expected and I had made my decision after not sleeping a wink. And the black bags under my eyes contested it. When I arrived with Armin and Mikasa, the commander was there with some short black haired man.
"Cadets!" The Commander said cheerily. "Glad you came, for the support of your friend."
"Tch." Scoffed the black haired man.
"Now now Levi." The commander said. So that was Captain Levi. Humanity's strongest soldier. Didn't look like much, though I shook that thought pretty quick as I knew not to judge books by their covers.
"Sirs." I said saluting, making sure to include the Captain in the greeting. "Commander where will the three of us be?" I added.
"Beside and behind myself and Captain Levi, Cadet Drake. You will be beside me. The others will be behind Captain Levi." The Commander said ushering is in.
I stood wondering why I was beside the Commander but as the room filled he whispered in my ear to keep an eye on some of the reactions of those in the room, particularly the MPs.
So I did as I was told, and when they brought Eren out however, I couldn't stop the gasp that came out of me. He looked broken.
I didn't hear the judge until I was nudged. I was too focused on Eren.
"Cadet." The Commander nudged, "your statement."
"Apologies." I then said everything, what I saw and what Eren did in his Titan form. And then apologised for my words against my training commander not that they were false but by my lack of respect for his authority at the time. It was a load of bullshit but I had to make it look authentic.
My apology was granted by the judge. Each of the other witnesses then gave their accounts. Erens face showed all his emotions at the words all the witnesses were saying. Most were against him and I could see hope in him dying slowly.
"Please sir." I asked the commander in a whisper, who then stepped forward and put forward their case. Have the Titan shifter in the Scouts to use as a weapon for humanity and if he goes against humanity then Captain Levi would put an end to him.
I didn't like that and I knew without looking that Mikasa didn't either.
The commander then asked me to step forward, so I did though I masked the surprise.
"Cadet Drake, as one of the top ten in your corps what regiment will you be going at graduation?" He asked. "So the court can hear."
"The Scouts Sir." I said clearly. I had made this decision. "And if I may," one quick glance at the judge who allowed me to speak. "If I may, there was control when the Titan shifter was exerting this the first time, although it is true the second time, he swiped at myself and another member of our corps I managed to get through to him. If this were to happen I again I would do my best to get through to him again or die trying. Before Captain Levi would do his duty."
I knew I had shocked everyone in the courtroom by the sounds of pins dropping. Or in this case Eren's chains rattling.

"Sustained Cadet Drake. If you can do as you say you can when joining the Scout regiment then we will indeed allow the Titan shifter to go to the Scouts with you. As long as you and Captain Levi are able to do the tasks you have said you will."
Eren began screaming that it wasn't possible, I swear he had the ill most timing ever. 
That was when we saw Captain Levi go to work, he literally beat Eren senseless. I could see why he did it but it still made me want to jump in and defend my friend. I locked my legs in place and had to grab Mikasa's arm to stop her from launching herself at Levi.

"It's to show the control." I whispered to her when the judge gave the sentence that Eren would be in the control of the Scouts and should this be necessary both myself and Levi would be in charge of him, in Titan form and in human.
When Eren was released I looked at his bloody face and resolved to be tougher.

"So Cadet Drake?" The Commander said outside the courtroom. "What's your answer?"
"I will join the Scouts earlier than normal sir." I saluted.
He seemed happy with this and said. "Let's go and get you your uniforms."

And so I pulled on the brown jacket with the wings of freedom on and the green cape, it swished around me as I rode on a horse beside a silent Eren.