x l .

My office.

Marie got the text from Nathaniel and immediately started making her way there. She didn't know if she was going to implode on him, kiss him, hug him, or just slap him.

Yes, Nathaniel loved her. She loved him. But something changed things and Marie couldn't...

Theodore.

Right when the name occurred to Marie, she saw the suited man step out and exit from Nathaniel's office. Marie had been too caught up in her thoughts on the way over to the psychology building, she hadn't realized she was already at her destination.

As their eyes met, Marie didn't think twice about her actions.

Right as Theodore was an arms length away, the young student impulsively made direct contact with his chest and pushed him against the wall. It wasn't in an aggressive or rude manner - just very urgent.

Theodore chuckled, surprised at the student's boldness but not offended. "Look, I know you're with your professor but this is still pretty indecent."

"Don't lecture me on indecency."

"Then let me go, darling."

Slightly embarrassed, Marie pulled back - but still kept Theodore in her sight. She wasn't done.

"What the hell happened?"

Theodore couldn't help but tease the emotionally heightened girl. "Oh, Nathaniel just needed some help packing."

"Yeah, packing because he quit his job."

Theodore got serious quickly.

"For you."

Marie shook her head, almost as if she were in denial. "No, I... I said it was fine...I didn't - "

"Marie," Theodore soothed. "Nathaniel made this decision because he wanted to."

Marie's expression wavered between concern and disbelief. She had immense respect for Theodore, so she had to ask...

"Last night... what did you tell him while I wasn't there?"

Theodore looked down at the curious, slightly shaken young women before him. It was then he realized Marie had never quite fully understood her effect - her power - over the professor.

"I didn't tell him anything, Marie."

Marie tilted her head slightly in doubt, waiting for Theodore to elaborate.

"I just listened."

No. Marie didn't believe it, shaking her head in disbelief. She felt like the walls of sanity around her were falling apart and she desperately needed an actual answer.

"Then what changed his mind?"

Theodore couldn't resist a small smile, charmed by Marie's incapability of grasping the truth. Nathaniel may be the intimidating and dominant professor that he is, but this one student had him completely wrapped around her finger - and she had no idea.

"You changed his mind, Marie," Theodore spoke, before motioning to Nathaniel's office. "And if you don't believe me, let him tell you."

Not letting the student respond, Theodore left Marie to her own devices. She didn't move for a few seconds, instead contemplating Theodore's words.

Finally, Marie pushed open Nathaniel's door - asserting her presence in his office by going straight up to his desk.

The professor's office was already stocked with boxes and open drawers, the ambiance of his previously organized and academic room now slowly being emptied. A good third of the bookshelf behind his desk was now gone.