Chapter 3: Nature

~~~

Madara had once taken Naruto out of the confinements that they had called home when he was just 4 years old. They weren't out of the place for any normal reason, the family was never normal at all.

He had taken Naruto to a battlefield; one that was filled with blood and bodies of the dead. It was quite the perfect timing when they finally managed to get there.

"It seems no one is here," said Madara, his tone was unwavering — it showed no weakness at all. He looked down at Naruto, whom was looking the bodies. Any regular person with no experience as a Shinobi would think Naruto was just an emotionless kid, but that's not true. . . to some extent.

Madara saw his face, there was some conflict in his mind due to the sight of the dead bodies on the ground. "Naruto, do you know the thing called the Cycle of Hatred?" Asked Madara as Naruto's head snapped towards the elderly Madara.

"You talk about it, but I don't know what it exactly means." Naruto answered, his head and eyes snapping back towards the dead bodies once more. Madara nodded, also looking back to the dead and rotting corpses on the ground.

"In the most simplest form it means: negativity attracts negativity, while positivity attracts positivity." Madara explained, putting his hand on top of Naruto's shoulder. "What does that negativity and positivity part mean?" Asked Naruto, seemingly confused on what Madara was trying to explain. Madara sighed.

"Alright, if a person were to take the life of another person and that said person had a family that he cared for, what would the family feel towards the person that killed their father/husband?" Asked Madara. Naruto pondered for a moment before answering.

"Hate," said Naruto, answering the question that was directed towards him. Madara nodded, seeing how Naruto was quickly catching up to what he was trying to explain to the boy.

"And this will have them be in a much more negative state than in a positive one. This causes a problem, the family will be much more prone to being angry and negative to the point where they too will spread the negativity." Naruto slightly widened his eyes, he fully understood.

"Then if the family does something in any way negative to another person, they too will possibly be put in a negative behavior and will also be more prone to negative thoughts and feelings; it's an infinite cycle that grow from one person to another?" The last part was more of a question than a statement.

"Correct, see these bodies on the ground? They too have love ones, and they too will suffer like many people — The Cycle of Hatred."

~~~

Hate. Hate. Hate. Hate. Hate. Naruto thought, repeating the same word over and over again with no signs of stopping. He jumped in the air and threw a kunai at one of the dented target boards.

It landed inches inches away from getting the bullseye.

Naruto sighed and walked towards the target boards, intending to pull the kunai out of place. It has been a week or two since he last played chess with Madara. But Naruto just couldn't wrap his head around something.

How am I always naturally talented at the things I do? Naruto thought, clenching his fists tightly as he stared at the kunai engraved near the bullseye. He had only started for about half-a-year now and he was progressing at a phenomenal rate.