Hero

Keefe stared out the window of the gray vehicle, he had been told it was called a "car" but who in there right mind would think to call it that?

"What's your favorite color?" Kye asked sweetly, tugging at his shoulder with her hand. Staring intently at him as he considered this.

"Brown." Keefe said with a smile, laughing at the look on the little girls face.

"Brown? that's boring. Why brown?" Kye asked adorably, wrinkling her nose as she squeaked "brown bears beat bread"

"A close friend of mine has brown eyes. She means a lot to me." Keefe explained, not missing the look that flashed between the adults sitting in the front. They must be wondering where he was from.

"I hope you don't mind if we ask you a couple questions at dinner?" Richard said from the front, indicating that his earlier thought was correct.

"I don't mind," Keefe said trying to keep any panic from his voice, he hadn't figured out what to say yet.

"Can you tell me a story?" The little girl asked, her brother sat beside her reading a picture book.

"Sure." Keefe pushed his worries away as the vehicle drove on. Searching his mind for a good story till he found it, the best story was filled with true events adding a bit of fantasy and imagination.

"Once upon a time there was a girl, she was lonely so she went on a walk. She found an Alicorn."

"An alicorn? I want an alicorn!" Kye yelled, looking dreamy as she watched him intently, willing him to keep speaking.

"The alicorn was really happy to meet the girl. You see she was lonely as well, but she was also scared of the girls parents. And one time she had to ride the alicorn but was too scared to go alone." He said, remembering the events slightly in his mind, not wishing to betray the imagination.

"So the girl asked-"

"What's her name?" Kye asked intently, as if the fate of the world rested on it.

"The Alicorns name wa- is Silveny. And the girls name is... Foster." Keefe said, wondering how he could be so crazy to tell this toddler about Foster. What had he come too?

"Keep going than." Kye said seriously her bright blue eyes sparkling.

"The girl asked one of her friends to ride the Alicorn with her. His name was..." oh great now he was stumped. He couldn't exactly tell her that it was-

"Keefe! Make it Keefe. You're fun Keefe so you get to ride the alicorn." Kye squeaked, saving him from an awkward stop in the story.

He nodded at this, breathing a sigh of relief before he spoke again.

"Okay so Foster asked me to ride with her on the alicorn."

"Lucky!" Kye said, laughing for no particular reason.

Keefe smiles at this, "So I rode with her and we had lots of fun. But some mean people followed us."

"Bullies?" Kye's eyes had turned huge, as if hanging onto every word he said.

"Yeah bullies." Keefe nodded, cringing at the lie but knowing he could never speak the truth.

"Those bullies wanted to have Silveny cause she was so sparkly. But me and Soph- Foster" he paused slightly hoping she hadn't noticed his slip in words. When it appeared she hadn't he continued on.

"Me and Foster protected the Alicorn and teleported back home. We had a great time and a fun ride." Keefe spoke, stopping himself from reminiscing too much. It's not like he cou-

"You're a hero!" Kye shouted staring at him admirably and hugging him.

"Kye no shouting." Richard said from the front a smile on his face.

Keefe smiled too, returning the hug shortly. He'd never known little kids could be so sweet.

Kye turned away from him mumbling about Alicorns and hero's and sparkly things. He smiled again as he stared out the window.

Today was a good day.