Chap. 9 - Oh.

During their break, (Y/n) asked Monkey if he could teach her meditation, for real this time.
"It's weird to me that you can conjure barriers yet you don't know how to meditate." he said. "It's the basic of basics"
"Maybe it's the perk of being Golden Cicada's reincarnation."
They both sat down face to face.
"So," he started. "when you use your powers, you have to concentrate all of your energy into this one spot. And meditation helps doing that. For example when I use my iron arm, I concentrate on my arm."
"What about when you transform? Or when you create an illusion?"
"That's next level. For now let's focus on your chi flow."

He extended a hand, gesturing towards her own. She gave it to him and he held it down, palm facing up.
"To start: try to feel your hand from the inside."
"From the inside?"
"M-hmm, close your eyes and try."
She closed her eyes as he let go. A moment passed.
"Yeah I feel it."
"What does it feel like?"
"...Fuzzy."
"Fuzzy?"
"I don't know," she opened her eyes. "it just feels like chi."
"Okay, now try to feel both of your hands at the same time. Transfer that feeling."
"Okay...?" she looked down at them.
"And now feel your legs...Then your whole being." he position himself and closed his eyes. "And as you concentrate on that feeling, start meditating. Let it sink in."
"Just like that?"
"Yeah. That's the first step."

She imitated him, forming a small circle with her hands and closing her eyes. Just as she did that, Monkey reopened his and just looked at her in total stillness and silence. The wind gently blew, a butterfly slowly flew by, the sun was blocked by a bird for a split second, still Monkey didn't move. It was only when (Y/n) cleared her throat that he realized what he was doing. Habits die hard after all. He frowned and stood up.
"How long do I have to do this exactly?" she asked after a while.
Hearing no response, she opened her eyes and saw Monkey laying down under the shades of a nearby tree, his hands behind his head.
"What the hell Monkey?!"
"Sorry, got bored." he casually said.

Now feeling like an idiot for just sitting there for ten whole minutes, she stood up and walked up to him.
"Geez, were you also acting like this when Tripitaka meditated-?"
"It doesn't matter!"
She was taken aback by his sudden shouting. He also seemed surprise by the volume of his own voice. He sighed and stood up.
"Can we go already?" he asked as he picked his ear. "I gotta get a move on or else I'll die of boredom. Man, is there no demons nearby? I could have a good ass-kicking workout right about now."
(Y/n) watched as he began walking away.
'Maybe he doesn't like it when other people use Tripitaka's name, especially against him.' she thought, following him. 'I can relate to that.'

The sun was starting to set, but there was no city and no village in sight. The two companions were ready to sleep outside when they stumbled upon a single house in the middle of nowhere. It looked old and abandoned. (Y/n) knocked a few times, even called out asking for shelter, but no response. They exchanged a look before Monkey let himself in.
"Stay close." he said as she followed him. "In case the floorboards collapse."
She briefly glanced down in panic.
"I wasn't worried about that before but now..."

The house seemed completely empty. There were old furniture, everything was very dusty and a bit rusty, it was clear this place has been here for a while. There was a pond in the backyard and any little creaky noise made her jump, which ticked off Monkey a bit. At some point, as they were exploring an office, a pile of books placed on top of each-other fell down, they probably finally lost their balance after being like this for years and years. She yelped and clung unto Monkey's arm, he flinched at the sudden move and glared at her.
"Could you not? Chill." he shook his arm to make her let go. "You're scared or something?"
"No!" she folded her arms. "I'm just being cautious."
He raised an eyebrow, skeptical.
"You're never too cautious - Especially in a place like this!" she added, gesturing around them.
He just sighed and went back to exploring.
Just then she noticed a little mouse in a corner of the room, disappearing into a hole in the wall as soon as it noticed her noticing it. It made her relieved that it wasn't anything supernatural that was making those noises.