5 | Stolen Hearts | 5

Sapnap POV

"Hey Nick..." Karl begun. I immediately shifted my vision to the top of his hair. He was laying on my lap, but I didn't really mind. I could tell almost the moment I met him he was the type to hug or touch or anything that comes in contact with another living creature.

I was on edge but I tried my absolute best to hide my nerve-racking attitude. He sat up, turning around and facing me with a smile.

"Yeah..! What's up?" I anxiously responded.

"It's still night.." He started, but ended up trailing off towards the end. "You wanna.. go on a run..?" He slowly pushed himself closer to my face.

"What do you mean by... 'a run?'" I questioned, backing up by the slightest bit. I felt my hands shaking rapidly. I couldn't make them stop.

"Come on! I'll show you!" He hopped up, still with loads of energy within his heart.

He sprinted to the window I climbed into, opening it and beginning to climb out. He signaled for me to follow him.

I had no choice BUT to follow him. What else was I supposed to do? Sit in his house all night and pray for his parents to not check on him?

I followed his actions, climbing out the window close behind him. Luckily, the way down was extremely easier than making my way up. Karl giggled when I hit the grass and began running into the darkness.

"Where are you going?" I chased after him, shouting in through the darkness. I rolled my eyes with a big smile, catching up to him. We walked in the dark until it started raining.

I ended up giving Karl my hoodie after he kept begging in the cold rain. I didn't really care about the coldness constantly hitting my back, so it was a win-win.

After around 10 minutes of walking in the cold rain and talking with each other, we arrived at bright, well-alive mall. I squinted at the glowing sign above the mall in the dark air of the night. Karl wasn't phased by the brightness, as he immediately walked inside. I followed, silently.

"It's so warm!~" Karl laughed, shaking off the wetness from the rain like a dog. I shielded my face, trying not to get wet but I couldn't stop myself from giggling.

"Come on! Lets go to Hot Topic!" He called out, running through the mall like an excited toddler. I followed him, sneaking a small glance to each of the stores we passed before reaching our designated one.

"See any shirts you like?" He asked, almost immediately after we entered the shop. I set eyes on a Demon Slayer themed T-Shirt, sparkles lit my brain. I love it.

"This one." I said blankly pointing at the Anime  shirt. He smiled with a small "ooo~" escaping his lips. He instinctively grabbed it, walking out of the shop. The alarm went off.

"Come on Nick!" He shouted, starting to run for the exit after the alarms annoyingly blinked and rung their usual tune.

I was choked up, but moved fast, following him bluntly. I was oblivious to my surroundings, tripping over a few things trying to catch up to him.

Before I knew it, I had ran face first into a security officer, falling backwards but catching myself on both feet. Karl was stood beside me, staring at the officer. He looked at the both of us, ready to grab Karl by the wrist.

It felt like everything was in slow motion as the officer reached out his hand. I felt my brain screaming at me to do something. Why would I?! I don't even know him all that well!

But.. I'm not just going to let them take Karl.

Never.

"No!"

I kicked instinctively kicked him purely in the stomach with all of my strength, grabbing Karl's wrist and sprinting out of the mall at full speed. I didn't care about the rain, I just kept running and didn't stop. I was practically dragging Karl behind me but he didn't seem to mind. He looked dazed.

I eventually came to a stop, setting Karl and myself under the roof of a bus stop. I was panting with each frantic breath. I held my knees in the dark rain, staring into a puddle placed on the ground in front of me.

"Holy.. shit.." I mumbled, standing up with correct posture and looking at the sky through the glass roof.

"Oh my god, Nick! That was so awesome!" Karl beamed, hugging me. I felt myself smile but I shook it off. I can't be smiling now.

"I kicked a cop.." I looked at him with the turn of my head. I buried my hands into my hair and I started to pace around the bus stop.

"You saved me! I could've gone to jail." He exclaimed. He ended up having to let go of the hug because of my sudden movements, but it didn't push any of his excitement to the side.

"What if the cops are after us right now?" I asked, digging my fingernails further into my hair. I couldn't think straight with the pouring rain and constant sound of pitter patter against the glass.

"Well, that's why we should probably be running right now." Karl shrugged, looking up at the sky where the rain showered onto the sidewalk. "Plus, it's really cold."

"What if my mom finds out..?" I questioned again, sighing to myself. I groaned, sitting on the bench behind me. I buried my face within my hands, ready to cry but I knew I couldn't.

"Nick..?" Karl murmured, stepping over to where I was and sitting on the bench beside me. I felt him drop his head onto my shoulder. "It's gonna be okay, Nick. I'm sorry.."

"It's.. fine. I'm sure it's just one shirt.. they won't come after us for that, right?" I tried to lighten the mood, ignoring my urge to tear up and cry. He smiled at me and I smiled back.

We sat in the pouring rain for a few minutes until suddenly, Karl stood up. He looked at his surroundings, stepping out into the pouring rain. I looked at him with a confused eye.

"Cops. 13 miles south." He mumbled. I barely heard him but I immediately understood what he meant. "Let's go."

"Fuck.." I murmured. He grabbed my wrist, running and dragging me behind him. I got instant deja vu from when I did the same to him earlier.

I could hear him talking on his phone for a while until he quickly put it away, crossing the street and hopping the fence surrounding a gas station. I had to climb it myself after his hand broke loose from my wrist during the process. Luckily, he waited for me.

We went behind the gas station building, sitting up against the wall and panting. I looked at him and he looked at me.

We sat staring at each other until suddenly, we both bust out laughing in the cold rain. I don't know what I was laughing at but I couldn't stop. By the looks of it, neither could he. We laughed until we started coughing.

Eventually, the sirens of a loud police car rung close to us. I felt my chest close up but Karl laid a plan on my knee, reassuring that we'd be fine here.

The cop car stopped with its sirens. I sat in silence with Karl for a long while, assuming they were gone. I turned my head to the side of the building, peeping almost so slightly only the top of my hair was visible.

I saw the policeman.

He was walking towards us.

•+ Song For This Chapter +•
~ treehouse ~ alex g ~